Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Toads
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

facebook

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Bumble Bee Toads Breeding

BB toads as of 12-24-12. So far they are developing nicely, however ther are several "runts" that I may separate and put into a another tank so they can develop at their own rate. 40+ in this photo but there are more under the plants and I have 2 other tanks with smaller groups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB toad tads 12-24-12.jpg (97.0 KB, 124 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Excellent! Please put me on your list.

Livin' La Vida Vivarium
Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Walker View Post
I'm still perplexed why I haven't heard a peep out of my 5 in the last year.
I think there are 2 males. and I see a throat puff up like a call every so often. the only call was the first time in the rainchaimber and it was fleeting
I am curious since no one has mentioned their full techniques on here, I guess they are afraid of Divulging trade secrets..

However I have spoken to a well known successful amphibian breeder at NARBC and he gave me advice on them. He instructed me to cool mine down by placing in a container and putting them into a cool refrigerator for a few days.

Do any of yall cool yours down?
How Far and How long?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:20 PM

We don't cool ours down, but we do reduce spraying and feeding for a couple months. We've got 2 batches out of the water right now (first batch is on melanogaster FFs). I expect some to be up for sale on Josh's Frogs by mid/late January. When they are, I'll be doing a full write-up on their care and breeding. We've gone from getting a few dozen toadlets a batch to several hundred out of the water at a time, and we've finally got their care and breeding down pretty well.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:26 PM

I cooled my down in a mini fridge at around 58 degrees for 5 days. I tried them earlier without cooling and they went into amplexus but no eggs so I decided to cool them this go around. No secrets here as I posted everything earlier M.stelzneri spawning .

Last edited by TDK; 12-24-2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBrinks View Post
We don't cool ours down, but we do reduce spraying and feeding for a couple months. We've got 2 batches out of the water right now (first batch is on melanogaster FFs). I expect some to be up for sale on Josh's Frogs by mid/late January. When they are, I'll be doing a full write-up on their care and breeding. We've gone from getting a few dozen toadlets a batch to several hundred out of the water at a time, and we've finally got their care and breeding down pretty well.
Wink Wink..want to guess who I talked to at NARBC last year about them

Looking forward to seeing everyone at NARBC again this year

Plants Plants Plants too ! ! !
Colleen53 (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM

A few are popping rear legs. Not a great photo but you can see the legs on the one on the bottom left. I have separated the "runts" from the group and put them into a different container.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB Toads popping hind legs.jpg (87.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 PM

Awesome my males started calling so I'm starting on getting the rain chamber set up and tested before getting the female cooled. So I'm looking at next month sometime with pairing really excited about it. Do you raise the tads all together? Someone suggested raising them in separate cups like darts, do you think that'd be viable or are they better together?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 AM

They do fine communally. There should be several hundred, so raising the tadpoles individually really isn't practical.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
They do fine communally. There should be several hundred, so raising the tadpoles individually really isn't practical.
Good stuff, thanks for that
Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM

I've got a couple out of the water now and in a container with some springtails and substrate in a milk lid. Still absorbing the tail. Several that have all 4 legs out.
epiphytes etc. and Drayvan like this.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM

I have 10 out of the water now in a grow out box with substrate from my springtail tub. Since the toadlets are very fragile at this point I moistened/sprayed the substrate more than normal so it wouldn't stick to them at this point. The photo is terrible (from my cell phone) but there is one you can see that has climbed to the top left of the container and there is 3 more in the substrate that you can't see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1584.jpg (94.4 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by TDK; 12-31-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-09-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK View Post
I have 10 out of the water now in a grow out box with substrate from my springtail tub. Since the toadlets are very fragile at this point I moistened/sprayed the substrate more than normal so it wouldn't stick to them at this point. The photo is terrible (from my cell phone) but there is one you can see that has climbed to the top left of the container and there is 3 more in the substrate that you can't see.
Looking really good! Just about to cool my female, hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks it'll all start kicking off.

Congrats on the littleuns
Old 01-09-2013, 12:48 PM

I pulled 18 yesterday. I tried to do a head count in the grow out box to see how many are surviving but they are in every nook and cranny, under small leaves and pieces of substrate and scatter when disturbed. I still have about 10-15 tads that still haven't developed fully but they are surviving. I also put on a jewelers loop (magnifying glass) when I was trying to count and some of them have the smallest yellow spot or two. Wish I had more than a camera phone. I have started getting a new tank and some algae growth going for the next breeding attempt. I have one male periodically calling. TDK
Colleen53 and Drayvan like this.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:45 PM

CATASTROPHE—Last night I transferred 35 BB Toadlets into 2 different, larger grow out tanks and all but 6 are now dead. One was a larger sweater box that held the remains of one of my Springtail cultures and substrate that was already inside and also the same substrate as was in their smaller containers they were transferred from—29 were in this container and all but 3 dead. The other was a Glad food container about 8” x 8” with 6 larger toadlets and 3 dead here. I’m puzzled as to what could have caused this unless it was build up of CO2 possibly from yeast or banana peels. The larger sweater box container is not airtight by any means and the Glad was closed for 11 hours and had a pinch of fish food for the Springtails in a corner. I planned to transfer these 6 into a shoe box that was ventilated this morning that the other 29 came from. I still have about 15 in two smaller, sandwich meat grow out boxes and will keep them in there with maybe just a piece of damp paper towel and a leaf with a drop or two of water from misting. Please review and express your thoughts and experience about this so we all can learn. I believe in sharing failures as well as success in order to prevent others from making the same mistakes.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM

My best guess as to why I lost so many toadlets is when I tranfered the toadlets to a larger container I then tranfered the container to my reptile room and the reduction in humidity in that room caused their death. The remaing ones I put in a shoe box with a damp paper towel covered with leaves and mist as needed.

I have some still morphing out and pulled one this weekend and saw 2 tads still left undeveloped without legs this morning.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
My best guess as to why I lost so many toadlets is when I tranfered the toadlets to a larger container I then tranfered the container to my reptile room and the reduction in humidity in that room caused their death. The remaing ones I put in a shoe box with a damp paper towel covered with leaves and mist as needed.

I have some still morphing out and pulled one this weekend and saw 2 tads still left undeveloped without legs this morning.
I'd agree with low humidity causing a problem with young toadlets - they dry out much faster than older animals. CO2 can be an issue, as well. I've been keeping 50 or so toadlets in a plastic bin measuring about 24"x16"x6" with a piece of glass over the top, and feeding daily. They seem to be thriving in those conditions. We'll be releasing the first few dozen that are currently eating melanogaster fruit flies on Josh's Frogs this week.
Eric Walker likes this.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:42 PM

I just PM'd a guy to contact you guys about purchasing.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I'd agree with low humidity causing a problem with young toadlets - they dry out much faster than older animals. CO2 can be an issue, as well. I've been keeping 50 or so toadlets in a plastic bin measuring about 24"x16"x6" with a piece of glass over the top, and feeding daily. They seem to be thriving in those conditions. We'll be releasing the first few dozen that are currently eating melanogaster fruit flies on Josh's Frogs this week.
What substrate are you using?
Old 01-29-2013, 04:00 PM

Fine coco fiber. I keep it a bit damper than I typically would, so it forces springtails to the surface. I also include a few clumps of LFS (very young toadlets like to seek shelter in it), as well as some broad leaves plant cuttings, such as pothos. Older toadlets will spend the night 'roosting' on the leaves.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:44 PM

No idea what LFS is.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:56 PM

Whoops. Long Fiber Sphagnum.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM

I put 3 pairs of toads together again a couple of days ago and 2 pair went into amplexus. This morning I checked to see if there were any eggs and none were they weren't in amplexus and 1 female was dead from drowning. This isn't the first time this has happened. The water is just under 3/4" deep and is loaded with plants, to keep tads from drowning, and also had 3 other areas to escape the water entirely so I was surprised to see another drowning. My guess is the male exhausted her in the attempt to breed. No eggs. I post this as a warning to those attemting to breed. I may drop the water level next time to 3/8" in an attempt to prevent this.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:17 AM

Sorry to hear of the loss of your female that's been my biggest fear so far. I'm hoping I've managed to design a spawning tank that's drown proof but there's not really much you can do about over enthusiastic males, seems quite a common trend for male toads to drown their females from talking to a few people. Now I've gotten a load of family members hospital appointments out the way I can finally get round to an attempt at breeding myself in the next few weeks scary stuff! I've got springtail cultures coming out of my ears waiting to be used...
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 AM

Do these guys swim once adults?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM

They can swim and do at breeding time but for the most part they are on dry land and their tanks should be setup with more ventilation than dart frogs and a drier environment. The problem is the males wear the females out during amplexus and drown them sometimes. I lowered my water to what I thought was safe and still ended up with a female that drowned.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:53 PM

I've been raising the water level as a way to prevent drowning, the idea being that females can simply swim away, and do not get stuck or pinned down against a submerged surface. Water depth in the breeding chamber is about 8-10", and I haven't had a drowning at this depth. I also provide several pieces of floating cork and plastic plants in the corners.
billschwinn likes this.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I've been raising the water level as a way to prevent drowning, the idea being that females can simply swim away, and do not get stuck or pinned down against a submerged surface. Water depth in the breeding chamber is about 8-10", and I haven't had a drowning at this depth. I also provide several pieces of floating cork and plastic plants in the corners.
I don't disagree with you as I have had one pinned under a plant before and drowned and this could have been what happened this time and the male just continued dragging the female around until he released her in an open area without plants.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM

The last one morphed out this morning. It took 5 weeks longer than the first and is tiny.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:41 AM

Any more updates?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Mine are still growing. Maybe 15 to 20--I just haven't uncovered all of them to count. I have a couple just over 1/8" and some 1/2" all from the same hatching. Most are eating fruit flies and the rest still get a supply of Springtails everday. At least 8 in this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1697.jpg (93.6 KB, 100 views)
Blue_Pumilio and earthtiger like this.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:47 PM

I just got a pair and am thinking of getting some more .
Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c81kennedy View Post
I just got a pair and am thinking of getting some more .
Where did yo get them?
Old 02-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Bill, I believe Ron McGee (Alpha Pro Breeders) has some available. www.alphaprobreeders.com/products/Bumble-Bee-Toads.html
billschwinn likes this.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:37 PM

Check the classifieds. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschwinn View Post
Where did yo get them?
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue_Pumilio For This Useful Post:
billschwinn (02-26-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 PM

Josh's Frogs is supposed to have some CB for sale in the near future.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:00 AM

Didn't they all die?

Quote:
Josh's Frogs is supposed to have some CB for sale in the near future.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pumilio View Post
Didn't they all die?
If his did I didn't kniow about it. Are you thinking of my prevoius post where I lost some?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 PM

No, I heard from someone else they are abandoning their breeding program with them after failing with the current batch of babies. Something about not enough food. I guess someone could ask them for more info.

Quote:
If his did I didn't kniow about it. Are you thinking of my prevoius post where I lost some?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pumilio View Post
No, I heard from someone else they are abandoning their breeding program with them after failing with the current batch of babies. Something about not enough food. I guess someone could ask them for more info.
We're absolutely not abandoning our breeding project. We currently have about 60 toadlets feeding well on melanogaster, as well as several hundred tadpoles in the water. I don't know where you got your information, but it's incorrect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zBrinks For This Useful Post:
joshbaker14t (03-01-2013), TDK (03-01-2013)