Dendroboard banner

plant quarentine

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Ed 
#1 ·
i collected some swamp plants from a remote location(no chemicals) and they are doing well in tanks without frogs. i'm worried about parasites/pathogens...is there a certain period after which the parasites or other pathogens would have all hatched out and died due to lack of a host, so i could after the 'quarentine' period introduce the plants to frog tanks without fear of bringing in the nasties?

#2 ·
Technically no as some parasites such as some of the lungworms have a free living stage that produces a infectious larva. Also other parasites like ameoba cysts can last for decades. If you are concerned about these parasites then you should take cuttings, disinfect them with a dilute bleach solution (ala tissue culture), rinse and root them.

Ed

#3 ·
thanks ed! actually, i almost pm'd you instead of posting, but thought others might also like to know...so i'm glad you took the question. can i be lazy and get you to briefly outline the procedure? is it 10% chlorine bleach like for cleaning tanks? do you dip them quickly then rinse, or let them soak for some period?

#5 ·
I dont think that is actually tissue culturing tissue culturing is where you ctually cut a piece of the plant off then do a couple sterile procedures then grow the piece (a snip of leaf or somthing) in a test tubve then root it and plant it! Its pretty easy but hard to keep things sterile at home and itas normally don in a lab but it can be done at home i am setting up my first station to work with plant tissue culture!

What your doing is cutting the plant at least 2 nodes down preferably over 2 though then rinse it for about 10 min in a 10% bleach solution and then with a razor cut at an angle at least two nodes down ( so at the thirds node) and dipping it in root hormone and plant ing it.

Also depdning on specie there are other methods. I would like to here those if any one care sto chime in!

#6 ·
The point I was making is that in meristem tissue culture there is a disinfection method that does not inactivate the plant tissue (10% bleach solution and rinse) but is effective against bacteria and fungi and by extension should work on protozoa and larger pathogens not that taking cuttings are tissue culture (but in a more macro sense the argument could be made as clones of the parent tissue is being made).

Ed

#8 ·
Honestly, it depends on the plant. If I am preping for a future setup then I will also use a rooting hormone to increase success.

There was a pretty good article on home plant tissue culture setups in one of last year's (I think last year may have been early this year) ICPS journals. It showed how to set up the area, disinfection techniques as well as making yourself a hood to keep the area clean.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.