• 2 Post By Caden
  • 1 Post By CharlesT0271
  • 1 Post By phender
  • 1 Post By TheCoop
  • 1 Post By kimcmich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 09:26 PM

Default Most saught after plants.

I'm really really curious what everyone around here considers to be difficult plants to keep and difficult to find. I am completely obsessed with growing plants. More so than keeping frogs fish or any fauna. I love mosses fissidens all of it. What does everyone here have to get they're hands on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 PM

I'm sure this one is common and I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I've been trying to find pilea involucrata "moon valley". One of the coolest foliage plants I have seen and I can't seem to find it anywhere despite supposedly being so easy to propagate.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:35 PM
Mod

Default Re: Most saught after plants.

A few that come to my mind would be Ficus villosa, Vrisea racinae crispa, shingling Monsteras, and any number of miniature new world orchids.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:40 PM

Marcgravia is my holy grail. And mini palm tree like plants (Biophytum). I'm obsessed with different mosses as well. Rare broms too. Finally got my hands on a neoregelia mosquito that I've been searching for a year or so. There are different morphs out there but I wanted the one that had the coloration of the one used in Justin Grimms 150 gallon peninsula. (Which I plan on remastering in the future, just a little teaser). Here's a pic of the brom. Sweet huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carolina Vivariums likes this.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakkin View Post
I'm sure this one is common and I'm just looking in the wrong places, but I've been trying to find pilea involucrata "moon valley". One of the coolest foliage plants I have seen and I can't seem to find it anywhere despite supposedly being so easy to propagate.
I have it. 10 dollars per leaf. Jk

Here you go.
Catalog - Moon Valley Pilea

Last edited by CharlesT0271; 02-02-2017 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:33 AM

Varigated is always nice and saught after. I was wondering if anyone has used bucephalandra in any setups.

Here's my want list. No idea on the sp.
Encyclia likes this.

Last edited by CharlesT0271; 02-02-2017 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Photos
Old 02-02-2017, 02:11 PM

Ohhh my look at this guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neoregelia-Tiger-02-Sun-Grown_1486048313402.jpg (38.4 KB, 115 views)
Encyclia and Barry Thomas like this.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:22 PM

Those are cool, Charles! I am sure there is some reason we can't have them in a vivarium :-)

As for bucephalandra, I know that sumer (Dendroboard user name) has them for sale sometimes. I think they grow immersed so even if they do grow emergent, as well, they may need it wetter than a lot of folks have in their tanks. There are lots of plants from the aquarium side that do pretty well in some vivs. I have had good success with baby tears (or course, since it is also a greenhouse plant), java fern, anubias, some cryptocorynes, riccia, etc.

For me, I love shinglers. Like Damon said, I really enjoy marcgravias (and those can be really expensive), ficus villosa (like Dane said), Raphidiphoras and blue cebu. I also love weird broms and would love to get into some orchids one of these days.

Good thread :-)

Mark
Old 02-02-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Those are cool, Charles! I am sure there is some reason we can't have them in a vivarium :-)

As for bucephalandra, I know that sumer (Dendroboard user name) has them for sale sometimes. I think they grow immersed so even if they do grow emergent, as well, they may need it wetter than a lot of folks have in their tanks. There are lots of plants from the aquarium side that do pretty well in some vivs. I have had good success with baby tears (or course, since it is also a greenhouse plant), java fern, anubias, some cryptocorynes, riccia, etc.

For me, I love shinglers. Like Damon said, I really enjoy marcgravias (and those can be really expensive), ficus villosa (like Dane said), Raphidiphoras and blue cebu. I also love weird broms and would love to get into some orchids one of these days.

Good thread :-)

Mark
I can get rare buces all day long. Yes they do fine immersed the flower is awesome. Kind of like an eriochualin. I got a surprise coming from romania. I'm going to incorporate this and utricularia grammifolia into the viv build somewhere and a few variegated buces. We will see how it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-563-0-47581200-1418079931_1486053012382.jpg (48.0 KB, 136 views)
Encyclia likes this.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:09 PM

I remember back when I was getting into odd plants and vivariums I really liked most of the epiphytic myrmecophytes, things like myrmecodia, lecanopteris, hydnophytum, dischidia pectinoides. The only one I owned was a Myrmecodia echinata (I think it's tuberosa now), it looked and behaved so interestingly, I am definitely getting another eventually.

Same thing for tropical lycopodium (it's huperzia now). These can be somewhat tough to grow in a vivarium setting, they tend to be a little hard to read in my experience.

Both of these types of plant tend to need rather large vivariums however, and will probably outgrow even the largest vivariums eventually.

In general, what makes many plants cool to vivarium enthusiasts is the fact that they aren't very commonly used in vivariums, they don't necessarily have to be hard to grow. Take bromeliads for example; Neoregelia tend to dominate the vivarium bromeliad niche in the USA. This causes other potentially suitable bromeliads, such as smaller species of Vriesea, Guzmania, Canistrum triangulare, Portea nana, etc. to add a very unique affect to vivariums they are used in. The fact that they aren't used too often here allow the vivariums to stand out more to members of the hobby, at least from my perspective.
Encyclia and Jc537 like this.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden View Post
I remember back when I was getting into odd plants and vivariums I really liked most of the epiphytic myrmecophytes, things like myrmecodia, lecanopteris, hydnophytum, dischidia pectinoides. The only one I owned was a Myrmecodia echinata (I think it's tuberosa now), it looked and behaved so interestingly, I am definitely getting another eventually.

Same thing for tropical lycopodium (it's huperzia now). These can be somewhat tough to grow in a vivarium setting, they tend to be a little hard to read in my experience.

Both of these types of plant tend to need rather large vivariums however, and will probably outgrow even the largest vivariums eventually.

In general, what makes many plants cool to vivarium enthusiasts is the fact that they aren't very commonly used in vivariums, they don't necessarily have to be hard to grow. Take bromeliads for example; Neoregelia tend to dominate the vivarium bromeliad niche in the USA. This causes other potentially suitable bromeliads, such as smaller species of Vriesea, Guzmania, Canistrum triangulare, Portea nana, etc. to add a very unique affect to vivariums they are used in. The fact that they aren't used too often here allow the vivariums to stand out more to members of the hobby, at least from my perspective.
I forgot about Huperzia! I love that stuff. Looks so unique in my tanks.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 PM

I don't exactly keep a list, but one that comes to mind is the mini brom Werauhia hygrometrica.
I was able to pick up a couple Werauhia marnier-lapostollei, but hygrometrica is a little tougher to find and from what I hear, more difficult to culture
Old 02-02-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phender View Post
I don't exactly keep a list, but one that comes to mind is the mini brom Werauhia hygrometrica.
I was able to pick up a couple Werauhia marnier-lapostollei, but hygrometrica is a little tougher to find and from what I hear, more difficult to culture
That's an awesome plant!

I will always have a special place in my shriveled up black heart for the waxy little beauties called bucephalandria. I'm going to do it in my build and see what happens.

I got an ID on the white brom with purple tips!

Neoregelia ?Sunday Best'. A lovely small bromeliad with extra light yellowish green leaves in a compact rosette. The mildly serrated leaves are somewhat firm and rounded with vivid pink tips. A stunning plant that does well when grown "hard", meaning using minimal fertilizer in combination with a bright light setting.

Maximum Size: H:8" x W:9"

Light: Part Shade/Part Sun

Temperature: Warm

Water: Part Damp

Sounds like they will work nicely in a viv. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume if I put them in a highly shaded area I will get that nice clean white color.
oldlady25715 likes this.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesT0271 View Post

Neoregelia ?Sunday Best'. ......... A stunning plant that does well when grown "hard", meaning using minimal fertilizer in combination with a bright light setting.

Sounds like they will work nicely in a viv. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume if I put them in a highly shaded area I will get that nice clean white color.
Actually just the opposite. Most Neoregelia broms will go green and get leggy in the average vivarium. If you want anything other than green and have them stay compact, you need to give them bright light.
Gibbs.JP likes this.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:01 PM

Good to know thank you.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:57 PM

I keep a lot of buces in my pal. There's not many aroids I don't love, but highly bullated Crypts are a favorite.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hoatzin View Post
I keep a lot of buces in my pal. There's not many aroids I don't love, but highly bullated Crypts are a favorite.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Flamingo sure would color up nicely in a viv
Old 02-10-2017, 10:57 PM

One of my favorite is Guzmania lingulata var. mini. Added as an attachment. It gets about 3" dia. Full grown.
Also I have quite a bit of costa rican marcgravia that i can part out. Best way to contact me is via email james.henson.design@gmail.com.

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013-3_1486770957698.jpg (55.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:23 PM

Here at Josh's Frogs we have a fairly new "Rare or Uncommon Plants" category. They all have full descriptions and pictures are kept accurate to be right around the size of the plant that you will receive.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:20 PM

I keep my tanks a little more humid than most and the bucepelandra are fun additions.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlady25715 View Post
I keep my tanks a little more humid than most and the bucepelandra are fun additions.

Nice.

Hey josh frogs I will check it out.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 PM

I don't know how rare they actually are but currently, I have epiphytic orchids at the top of my must own list.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:25 PM

Any and all Aridarum species, Marcgravia calcicola, Anthurium lapoanum and Philodendron esmeraldense would be at the top of my list.
And pretty much all Philodendron spp. I don't already have

Oh, and Monstera karsteniana.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:10 AM

It may not be too rare, but I have had 0 luck with begonia amphioxus. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong with it. I've put it in with high light low light moist and dry, abg, and coco husk and natural garden soil. Still won't grow for me. If anyone has pointers PLEASE message me.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:36 AM

I remember seeing a Neoregelia June Night years ago, and have been wanting one of those.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:13 AM

Billbergia "Darth Vader" https://www.google.ca/search?q=Neore...NCMfGIi09QgWM:
Old 03-09-2017, 06:36 PM

I was down in Homestead in south Florida last week and went to an awesome orchid dealer called RF Orchids. That place was a complete sensory overload! Thousands of orchids, including a bunch of the epiphytes. I've never been to there website, but in person the place was amazing. Prices were probably retail, but chances are, that they may have a specific morph someone is looking for. The epiphytes are my favorites too so I had to buy a couple. If you are ever in the Miami area, there are a bunch of ornamental plant growers in the area.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:00 AM
TWI/ASN

Plants are life .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170123_200120.jpg (88.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20170221_213731.jpg (102.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20170111_201307.jpg (95.6 KB, 44 views)
therizman2 likes this.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfanatic14 View Post
I was down in Homestead in south Florida last week and went to an awesome orchid dealer called RF Orchids. That place was a complete sensory overload! Thousands of orchids, including a bunch of the epiphytes. I've never been to there website, but in person the place was amazing. Prices were probably retail, but chances are, that they may have a specific morph someone is looking for. The epiphytes are my favorites too so I had to buy a couple. If you are ever in the Miami area, there are a bunch of ornamental plant growers in the area.
Cool! I was just there last year around this time. I sailed out of Miami to visit the Bahamas, and while there, I stopped at Fairchild and RF Orchids. I picked up a Paraphalaenopsis labukensis, and six vanda hybrid seedlings. What did you get?
Old 03-10-2017, 07:39 PM

I'd be thrilled it if someone could find this for me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg furcifera line.jpg (71.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg fustifera.jpg (101.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-10-2017, 10:38 PM

Lately we've been really into miniature orchids like Lockhartia, Lepanthes, etc., Heliamphora, and different mosses!
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Daang awesome stuff guys
Old 03-16-2017, 12:59 AM

I have a fairly extensive wish list of plant species, so I'll try to restrict this to the ones I have yet to find, and REALLY want. I'm chasing blue, black, iridescent blue, and otherwise very dark leaved plants right now, and these are at the top of that list:

Begonia blancii (dark form, not mottled)
Begonia pavonina
Selaginella willdenowii
Teratophyllum rotundifoliatum
Diplazium cordifolium

Other plants I'd like to have for other projects (not my dark leafed project):
Ficus politoria
Bertolonia cf. 'Ovata'
Old 03-16-2017, 11:05 AM

I am enjoying my ficus villosa, getting good growth

Favorite is still miniature orchids and tillandsia.
Got to visit Andys orchids last year, best orchid green house
If your ever in the San Diego area get to Andys orchids, you will need to make an appointment prior to visiting.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:04 PM

I'm also hoping to find Lecanopteris curtisii and Dischidia major at some point.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 AM

About 2 months ago I would have said any number of rare Bucephalandra but a friend of mine now stocks them regularly.

Right now... Lepanthes tsubotae and L. telipogoniflora, or any Lepanthes really. Micro mini orchids seem pretty difficult to find in Ontario Canada...
Old 03-20-2017, 07:38 AM

@Umbra,

South American orchid vendors who come to international orchid shows in Canada can usually ship plants to you from in-country (having already passed through phyto certification on entry). Ecuagenera, for instance, will be coming to shows in Canada in April and June (they're also there next weekend but you have to order ahead of time to pick up at a show or have them mailed).
Umbra likes this.