Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Plants
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Planting Advice: Plant ID Challenge with PICS

Ive been working hard on my first 24x18x24 Exo Terra for a pair of D. Azureus or Cobalts. I havent decided which species yet. Finally I am ready to lay down my hydroton and substrate mix and do some planting!!! I am looking for advice on where to place my plants in relation to light and if they like wetter or drier conditons.

My viv has a false bottom, four mesh baskets set in a GS Foam background, two water drippers on the center line of the background and on the right side a waterfall feature.
I will have the exo-terra canopy light system which I will have 2 26W Repti Glo 2.O compact bulbs, and one 26watt Repti Glo 5.0 compact bulb.

I am looking for some input on my plants, specifically their scientific names so I can research them more, or your personal experiences with these same plants. I know I will not be able to fit them all in this viv so I need to narrow it down a bit ( and build another one...I already would make some changes).

I will try and plant them so they leaves dont touch the glass to prevent rotting. I'm also thinking of planting the pots directly into the substrate to bind the roots and make it easier to move overgrown or sickly plants out easier and for ease of propagation. Kind of a bonsai philosophy approach so they dont over grow or tangle roots in the substrate. Has anyone found this to work?

Here is my viv and selected plants and my plans for them:

My first viv and more plants than can fit in it.

1. Crypthanthus, close to light in a well drained wall basket
2. Fern, well drained on floor area
3. Bromliad, unknown type, on floor area or wall...? well drained substrate

4. Philodendron??? How big could this guy get?
5. No idea here.... Anyone know?
6. Bromliad...unknown type. On floor area, well drained
7. Unknown creeper vine/fern....? Will this climb up if i plant it on the floor ?

8. Unknown ground cover
9. tillandsia...fix to cypress wood.

10. Unknown
11. Unknown
12. My girlfriends orchid I adopted

If you would like to view my ongoing construction photo journal please check it out!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/holiday...7600208723669/

I love dendroboard!!! It has been super informative and inspirational!!!
Feed back is greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2007, 02:29 AM

Okay I only skimmed through right quick but I will try to answer your questions on IDs.

Number 3 is a type of Vriesea. It has been gassed to prematurely flower. If you intend to use it, mount it and try not to let it stay constantly soaked.

Number 4 I have seen under 2 names I think. Philo. Orange Sherbert and Philo. Prince of Orange or something like that. They do get kinda big.

Number 5 looks like a Peperomia, maybe Pep. obtusifolia.

Number 6 I don't believe is a bromeliad but rather a type of Sanseveria. They are technically not rainforest plants but some do quite well in the viv until they get MASSIVE. I would not use it if it were my viv.

Number 7 I need a better pic. Looks like a Pellea but not sure.

Number 8 looks like Selaginella. It does great as a ground cover in the viv.

10 and 11 I need better pics of. Not sure at all on those.

12 looks like an Epidendrum or Dendrobium. Can say without flowers. I don't grow those types so I'm not too familiar with them.

Good luck.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the info....I have posted some better pics and a summary. If anyone can has more to add....please do. I also have some scotch moss and irish moss to plant. Im guessing these blanket the viv floor well too.

Number 1: Cryptanthus, keep roots drained well

Number 2: Fern....???

Number 3: Type of Vriesea. It has been gassed to prematurely flower. If you intend to use it, mount it and try not to let it stay constantly soaked.

Number 4: Philo. Orange Sherbert and Philo. Prince of Orange or something like that. They do get kinda big.

Number 5: Peperomia, maybe Pep. obtusifolia.

Number 6 I don't believe is a bromeliad but rather a type of Sanseveria. They are technically not rainforest plants but some do quite well in the viv until they get MASSIVE. I would not use it if it were my viv.

Number 7 I need a better pic. Looks like a Pellea but not sure.

Number 8: Selaginella. It does great as a ground cover in the viv.

Number 9: Tillandsia

10 and 11 I need better pics of. Not sure at all on those. I have a slip cutting of #10...the parent plant had long hanging branches with similar size leaves and orange flowers on it.

12 Epidendrum or Dendrobium. Can say without flowers. I don't grow those types so I'm not too familiar with them.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:54 AM

Number 7 is most likely Muehlenbeckia (I'm sure I butchered the spelling). That plant loves moisture and will do great in the terrarium.

10 and 11 still elude me. 10 looks like 2 things to me, a Hoya and an Aeschynanthus. 11 could be a Kohleria but I honestly have no idea.

I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:25 AM

Hi, #10 looks like Nemathanthus. When it flowers you'll know for sure. #11 looks like a wilted Kohleria to me as well.

FYI Scotch moss and irish moss don't take well to most vivs. They need lots more light and less moisture.

Cheers, Robert
Old 05-19-2007, 01:44 PM

Well, I will go out on a limb and say that number 4 is not a Philo but Chlorophytum 'FireFlash'. Number 2 is a Pteris cultivar I believe. The Selaginalla are most likely a S krausiana cultivar. I think 11 is a Gesneriad but I don't think it's a Kohleria. Number 7 is Muehlenbeckia complexa.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the info....I appreciate the input. I can now google the names you provided and I actually know what plants I have!!

The collective intelligence of the internet is great!

Laying down hydroton, mesh and substrate today. Hopefully have time to get plants in the ground.