Go Back   Dendroboard > Vivariums > Parts & Construction
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 AM

Default Ideas for viv build - low with lots of climbing areas

So, my favorite gargoyle gecko, Horrorcow is a very special fellow. He has the personality of a dog - just a stellar, friendly, little guy, but he has congenital Metabolic Bone Disease. We managed to stop the progression of the MBD by adding a ton of calcium to his gecko food and adding UV lights, but he's got a wavy tail, a wavy spine and he just doesn't STICK like he should.

I have him in an exo-terra 12x12x18 with lots of horizontals, but I've noticed that he's been falling alot and he can't seem to climb back up. Tomorrow I'm moving him into a 10 gallon horizontal. Not as pretty or as slick but he needs less height in case he falls.

I was planning on my next building being an 18x18x24 exo-terra I already purchased for him but I realize now that he needs a wider and lower tank. I'm going to look around locally and see if I can find him an exo-terra thats wider, or barring that I'll buy him a 20 gallon.

I'd still like to build him a nice vivarium - he deserves a really nice special enclosure (he really is the most laid back, awesome gecko). Its more important that its nice for him than its nice for me. He'd need lots of ledges to climb on or very thick branches to climb on. Floor space less important. Gargoyle geckos are 60 grams and 8 inches long, so not petite little glass sticking geckos to begin with.

If you bothered to read my book, please advise me what you would do to build a vivarium suitable for a big fat, clumsy gecko, who wants to be arboreal but has trouble staying up high.

thanks in advance for your help.