Dendroboard banner

How much great stuff will I need for....

908 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  johnyrocks 
#1 ·
A 20 long vertical, covering 2 sides? I was thinking 2 16oz cans, and how much black silicone will I need? 1 tube? 2 tubes? Please help. I'm going to home depot tomorrow to get this stuff and all I know is it takes half a tube (5.1 oz) and 1 can for a think layer (covering 2 sides) in a 10 gallon, so I was thinking about twice as much in a 20l vert. So 2 cans (Gaps and cracks?) of Great Stuff and 1 tube (10.2 oz) of GE II 100% Black silicone. Thanks!

#2 ·
you will end up using more great stuff thank you think!!

Also, since its somewhat "one time use" (you can cut the straws and reuse them somewhat though) you might end up needing one extra can just for touch-ups after waiting a day or two for the GS to cure.

I'd also get a 2nd tube of the silicone for the same reason....silicone you can just cap and save for later it doesn't go bad so there isn't too much harm in having more...

but I personally ***HATE*** those last minute trips to Home Depot when you are 90% done and short like 3 squirts of silicone!

#3 ·
Haha! I know what you mean. I live way far from any home depot and one time I need a bit more peat moss. I had my frogs, plants, and everything come the same day, and before expected. So it took 2 extra hours to buy 1/2 pound of peat moss lol. I will get extra silicone. In the 10 gallon GS build, I did it twice. The first time I used 1/2 a tube and tore it down and redid it. I had again same last minute problem, I just needed 1 mmore dab of silicone lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.