I recently bought a 75 gallon aquarium for quite a steal. Yay craigslist.
I plan on building a paludrium and then moving the inhabitants of my 29 gallon paludarium into it and then eventually redoing the 29.
The dimensions of the tank are 48x18x20 inches so it gives me a decent amount of space to work with. It came with a screen lid and metal stand.
I've been putting this project off until the tank I've been working on was mostly done.
This tank will have roughly 9" of water in it & will hopefully resemble a jungle river bank. My plan is for a drip/rock area run by a canister filter in one end and a tree with some upturned roots in the other end, these areas will make up most of the land area.
I ordered some ghostwood yesterday and it should arrive sometime this week.
Today I started cutting styrofoam. I bought two 48x96" pieces of blue insulation foam for the background and rocks.
First, I cut the background because it was quick and easy. The foam is very easy to cut and you can just slice it with a box cutter and snap it along the line, or you can do what I did and make and equally impressive mess - saw it with a hacksaw.
My tank has a bar at the top so I cut the back piece into three pieces so it was easier to put into the tank.
Then I started to cut out the rocks. I cut shapes out of the large pieces of styrofoam.
Then I would carve smaller pieces out of the shape, so it looked a bit more like a section of rocks than some crazy polygon. I tried to make each one different so it didn't look to organized in hopes in the end it will look natural. This way a huge mess; there were tiny pieces of powder blue foam everywhere sticking to everything from static.
And finally I would sand it down. Also pretty messy.
And stack them up.
I repeated this until my husband insisted I came upstairs. This was the progress I've made so far. I have a lot more to do.