Dendroboard banner

Synthetic vines?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  edgeofthefreak 
#1 ·
Anyone used T-Rex or Exo terra synthetic vines? I'm building a large vivarium and interested in using some for the hardscape.

Wondering in particular about their durability in humidity. Thanks for any insights.

#2 ·
I used one of those cheap, foam/rubber vines in my anole tank. It has a wire inside to hold its shape. I can't remember which brand it was, but it has held up so far. I bought two, but one of them had split, exposing the cardboard interior, so that one will need some repair. Look closely when purchasing to avoid that sort of thing. If there's a split only on an end, you could bury that end in your hardscape.

So far, it has held up fine in his tank, and I spray manually 3-4 times a day. I have noticed that either crickets or roaches have done a little nibbling on it, but very minimally. Nothing will grow on it, but it doesn't stand out. This one has a smooth texture with ripples, nothing rough, so there are no catches where roots might get a grip. I've been happy with it.

#9 ·
I used the Exo-terra Jungle Vines for a chameleon enclosure a number of years back. A store I was at had a huge sale of non-animal accessories, so I ended up with about 10 of different sizes. This was before I did as much with real plants, so I took a thick vine, wrapped it around a fake plastic flowery thing, then wrapped a few of the thinnest Jungle Vines loosely around the whole thing. Made sure to include wide bends and such.

I think at the end, I had two full vines, with a good number of twists and fake plants. Made it look right out of a forest of sorts.

Might consider picking up a few for future builds, if the price is right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.