Dendroboard banner

3 x 40 gallon vertical build

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  noworries 
#1 ·
I completed these a year ago, but I wanted to contribute to this awesome forum. This is the best forum for vivarium builds and dart frog info.

Building a vivarium and not posting and sharing knowledge is like a tree in the woods falling, nobody can benefit from your success and failure. I really appreciate all of the build threads on this forum.

I have yet to start on my dart frog tank. I built this for a few crested geckos. I wanted to try my hand at these before tackling a more difficult set up. nothing fancy, just 40 gallon breeders vertical with a Mist-King set up. I made a lot of mistakes with these. Glad I did with these before a more elaborate expensive attempt. It was a lot of fun.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I drilled the top for the Mist-King nozzles. One nozzle per vivarium. I drilled the bottom for drainage.

I used black one inch bulk heads with a 1" PVC cap with holes drilled in it for drainage without letting hydroton balls from falling into the bulk head.

Attachments

#4 ·
Some progression, every photo is probably a month apart.

Two mistakes I made: I didn't seal the top rim of the aquarium before everything, so I fortunately had a small leak in each tank. I quickly pushing back the soil and hydroton, I sealed the leak with some silicon. No big deal, but always remember to seal everything. water will find a way out.

Second mistake: I plumbed the drainage together. Any pests could travel from one tank to another with combined drainage. I have not had any problems with mites. While there are some, they don't seem to do anything. they have come and gone, along with fungus and mold. Animals and plants are always fine. These are hardy species though. Will not make the same mistake with more sensitive species of plants and animals.

Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting Organism Aquarium decor

Freshwater aquarium Aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquarium decor Aquatic plant

Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting Botany Organism

Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquarium decor Botany

Leaf Flower Plant Aquatic plant Nepenthes

Terrestrial plant Leaf Plant Ferns and horsetails Flower

#6 ·
The tanks were designed to have a lot of vertical space, and not much floor space. The geckos really seem to like it. They have grown fat and happy in them over the past year. I have to separate the males and females out because they keep having babies.

If anyone is interested in baby geckos let me know.

Leaf Organism Plant Net Mesh

Aquarium Aquarium decor Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Plant

Amphibian Reptile Meller's chameleon Plant Scaled reptile

Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquarium lighting Aquatic plant Botany

Room Floor

Botany Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Plant Glass

Terrestrial plant Flower Plant Leaf Nepenthes

Terrestrial plant Plant Flower Aquatic plant Ceratostylis

#8 ·
I understand they do eat their own babies at times. I have not had any do so, I feed heavily, but they may mistake young for a cricket.

I removed the parents from this viv and placed them in separate holding vivs. I want to see what the growth rate is when the babies are kept in the main vivarium.

I do not pull the eggs. they are better off in the soil. I have counted eggs per baby and I have not lost a single baby. I am also trying to identify color pattern inheritance. I have true breeding opposite colored parents F0. I will then breed the offspring F1 to see what the ratio of F2 generation look like. this will give me some mendelian ratio. From there I can hopefully figure out what color patterns are inherited what way, or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.