Sugar glider breeders in california - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > The Lounge
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2008, 11:04 PM

Default Sugar glider breeders in california

mmmkay so i know they are illegal here and what not but i live on ft irwin military base now forcibly shipped here and wondering where i can get ahold of these little guys :mrgreen:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Sugar glider breeders in california

Let me start out by saying I hope you've done your research, and that there are definately people who have done what you're doing very successfully. However, if you are caught with them they can & will be euthanized.

With that said, I can tell you that NO major breeders outside of California will sell to you. Trust me, I know most of them personally. That means you'll have to find a breeder in California, which will be very very very hard to do, because what they're doing would be illegal.

I'm sorry, I can't help you out with a breeder. I MIGHT be able to find one for you (big might), and if so I'll PM you that info. But if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask =]
Old 03-23-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman3880
Let me start out by saying I hope you've done your research, and that there are definately people who have done what you're doing very successfully. However, if you are caught with them they can & will be euthanized.

With that said, I can tell you that NO major breeders outside of California will sell to you. Trust me, I know most of them personally. That means you'll have to find a breeder in California, which will be very very very hard to do, because what they're doing would be illegal.

I'm sorry, I can't help you out with a breeder. I MIGHT be able to find one for you (big might), and if so I'll PM you that info. But if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask =]
thank you very much and im only going to be here for another two months or so then i go back to wisconsin so i wouldnt have them out here to long just mom is willing to buy me a pair and i used to help take care of my neighbors gliders and i loved them little buggers even though his big male had a tendency to crab and bite
Old 03-23-2008, 01:02 AM

if you're only here for 2 months why not just wait and not risk it?

http://susiejoy.blogspot.com/
Old 03-23-2008, 01:04 AM

I know of several VERY good breeders in Wisconsin. Why dont you wait it out?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
I know of several VERY good breeders in Wisconsin. Why dont you wait it out?
well the thing is i dont know if my dad would pay for them then or if my mom would want to pay for them if im not living with her and i guess i am slightly impatient in that aspect and thus hypocritical for my stance on animal care has usually been animals well being top priority in absoulutely every way and as far as for those good breeders you know do any of them have the white faced or reddish brown phase for sale
Old 03-23-2008, 01:39 AM

The main thing I would be concerned about in California is, if they get sick, break a bone, etc., where are you going to take them? The vet will probably report you.

I have a good friend who's a mid-scale breeder in WI and she's the one I would definately recommend, but I'm unsure if she would have any white faces available. Red-brown suggies actually dont exist. Not healthy ones, at least. Their coat becomes reddish if they're malnourished, otherwise they're grey. I'll talk to her for you, see what she'll have available.

A few questions I have, though. These are just questions I normally ask new suggie owners, nothing personal.
-What diet are you planning on feeding them?
-What size cage do you have?
-Do you have any pouches yet?
-You know it takes a while for them to bond, right?
-And you know that sometimes they may never fully bond to yo?
-You know that they live for 12-15 years?
-You have a specialized exotic vet in your area?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
The main thing I would be concerned about in California is, if they get sick, break a bone, etc., where are you going to take them? The vet will probably report you.

I have a good friend who's a mid-scale breeder in WI and she's the one I would definately recommend, but I'm unsure if she would have any white faces available. Red-brown suggies actually dont exist. Not healthy ones, at least. Their coat becomes reddish if they're malnourished, otherwise they're grey. I'll talk to her for you, see what she'll have available.

A few questions I have, though. These are just questions I normally ask new suggie owners, nothing personal.
-What diet are you planning on feeding them?
-What size cage do you have?
-Do you have any pouches yet?
-You know it takes a while for them to bond, right?
-And you know that sometimes they may never fully bond to yo?
-You know that they live for 12-15 years?
-You have a specialized exotic vet in your area?
im ordering a standard sugar glider diet pack the works deal from a reputable site shortly and wether i continue to do that or make my own will be decided later and its either going to a project for me and my father to make a large enough cage or just ordering a cage that is stated at adequately housing a pair and all the supplies and accessories are on the way and yes, yes, yes, and unfortunatley i dont really have a specialized vet i have not taken anything to a vet before need never arose although i have the name of a vet i took advice from for trimming my tortoises beak she is the only exotic pet that i could find so she would be most likely my only option
Old 03-23-2008, 01:55 AM

Sounds great, except for the diet pack... I'd be concerned with ordering food off the internet. I would suggest the BML diet or the HPW diet, you can find recipes for them online. They arent difficult or expensive you make, and they offer the most complete nutrition for you sugar glider.

If you havent already, I would suggest registering at http://www.sugarglider.net. They have some very knowldgeable people there, and they will help you out with anything you need.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:00 AM

I would wait it out if you'll be moving to a place that they're legal. It only takes one person angry at you, or telling another person that likes calling the police or animal control to ruin your day. And if you dad or mom is military it can make things bad for them, too, as the base *will* discipline them if you're caught, even if it's just a disciplinary letter (and anything like that will come up at promotion time). Not worth the risk in my book. Respect the law, and your parent's career, especially if it only means waiting a couple months.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Sounds great, except for the diet pack... I'd be concerned with ordering food off the internet. I would suggest the BML diet or the HPW diet, you can find recipes for them online. They arent difficult or expensive you make, and they offer the most complete nutrition for you sugar glider.

If you havent already, I would suggest registering at http://www.sugarglider.net. They have some very knowldgeable people there, and they will help you out with anything you need.
will do and thanks its been a while since i had interaction with the suggies as i have not seen my neighbor is quite some time and the last time i saw him though he had aquired a pair of coatimundis and he threw them a live chicken needless to say it was quite a show he also throws his suggies live mice that they eagerly rip apart wouldnt try this myself as i would think the mouse would be capable of hurting them as it had teeth and thats a hell of alot of protein but i must say sugar gliders with faces covered in blood is an interesting site to say the least and i have noticed they have become considerably less tame he most likley doesnt work with them very much any more what a pity
Old 03-23-2008, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naja_naja
will do and thanks its been a while since i had interaction with the suggies as i have not seen my neighbor is quite some time and the last time i saw him though he had aquired a pair of coatimundis and he threw them a live chicken needless to say it was quite a show he also throws his suggies live mice that they eagerly rip apart wouldnt try this myself as i would think the mouse would be capable of hurting them as it had teeth and thats a hell of alot of protein but i must say sugar gliders with faces covered in blood is an interesting site to say the least and i have noticed they have become considerably less tame he most likley doesnt work with them very much any more what a pity
While I would'nt recommend live mice, the occasional frozen mouse should be thrown in as a treat.

If you registered on that site I gave you, go ahead and PM 'PixTrix'. She's the breeder I was talking about. She's very knowledgeable and she'll help you out if you ever have any questions. She lives in Wind Lake, Wisconsin... and if I know her she'll probably be willing to meet half-way to deliver the suggies (but I can't speak for her).

Just tell her Connor sent you, she'll take care of you.