Regular treatment for parasites? - Page 3 - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Health & Disease Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

facebook

View Poll Results: Do you regularly treat your frogs for parasites?
YES - I treat my frogs on a regular basis as a preventive measure 18 7.73%
NO - I do not treat my frogs at all 103 44.21%
ONLY - if something is found in a fecal I treat as needed 112 48.07%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Regular treatment for parasites?

Thanks Ed...and revising the sticky is an opportunity to weed out the outdated material if the Mod chooses to do that...it was one of my intentions to hope that it happened. You have made the point about other opportunistic organisms ... and how sometimes the unintended consequences are worse than the original problem. And as with my horses, I know that repeated treatment is absolutely necessary to catch the worms at their various stages of development. How "fresh" do you consider the sample to have to be for accuracy of identification, and therefore the treatment...? Other questions may follow...but if you could find the time (HA!) to give better guidelines on parasites, I believe it would be most valuable. Thank you, as usual...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM
TWI/ASN

Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,443 Posts
Default Re: Regular treatment for parasites?

Hi Judy,

refrigerated and read the same day is ideal. The reason this is important is that some of the important signs of a problem can degrade if the time line is longer. For example, sometimes issues are with an overgrowth of organisms that are normally a commensual in the digestive tract. This can cause weight loss and a loss of appetite due to irritation by the protozoa. If the fecal sits too long, these protozoa either encyst or die and decompose.
Another potential signal is the sign of red blood cells in the fecals, these are sometimes symptomatic of a coccidian infection and they are likely to degrade as well.

Sometimes you need to rule out various things because nothing shows up in the fecal. Some of the vets I knew would start thinking coccidian infection if an animal was losing weight but nothing was detected on the fecal.

In both of these cases, different medications are typically used so treating symptomatically for one doesn't correct the problem.

Also on a side note, protozoan overgrowths are typically treated with metronidazole and this is where it got the reputation for being an appetite stimulant.. It actually doesn't increase appetite but by knocking back the overgrowth, the animals begins to feel better and then feed.

Some comments

Ed