• 1 Post By JPccusa
  • 1 Post By hamsterdave
  • 1 Post By frogparty
  • 2 Post By hamsterdave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM
Mod

Default Diatomaceous Earth as Parasite Control

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is a known parasiticide. I just recently started using it under my bugs' cultures to help control mites. Have anyone trying using it any other way?

I was thinking, what if you dust FFs with DE for deworming frogs? Would FFs survive the dusting?

Some information:
Quote:
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is reported to kill parasites, both internally and externally, and it is also a very healthy supplement. Added to the daily diet of cats and dogs, it has the potential to eliminate worm infestations while also supplying nutrients. When applied externally, it is said to kill fleas, ticks, mites and lice. Diatomaceous Earth is mother nature’s eco-friendly, naturally organic material, it fits into the ‘living Green’ lifestyle. Actually, DE is not an earth, but rather it is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one celled plants called DIATOMS.

Food grade DE is thought to be effective against parasitic infestations internally, within the stomach, intestines and organs of animals (and people). It apparently works by cutting into the bodies of the worms, with its sharp edges, thereby killing them. Externally, it is said to kill such insects as fleas, ticks and mites, by cutting into the waxy outer coating on the exoskeleton of the insect, thereby dehydrating them to the point of death. DE has been used for the past two decades as a parasite control, and it appears to be effective and well respected for this purpose.
Reports of parasite elimination include: Tape worms, hook worms, whip worms, round worms, pinworms, lung worms and heart worms.
And also:

Quote:
Diatomaceous earth (DE) is the remains of microscopic one-celled plants (phytoplankton) called diatoms that lived in the oceans and lakes that once covered the western part of the US and other parts of the world.

These deposits are mined from underwater beds or from ancient dried lake bottoms thousands of years old. This means, diatomaceous earth has an unlimited shelf life provided you keep it dry.

Food grade diatomaceous earth is EPA approved to be mixed with grains to control mealworms and other pests and has been exempted from tolerance requirements as an inert, inactive ingredient in chemical pesticides.

Diatomaceous earth is EPA approved against indoor and outdoor crawling insects. Diatomaceous earth is USDA approved as an anti-caking agent for animal feed. Diatomaceous earth is FDA approved for internal and external use and has a rating of Food Chemical Codex Grade.

Food grade diatomaceous earth makes a very effective natural insecticide. The insecticidal quality of diatomaceous earth is due to the razor sharp edges of the diatom remains. When diatomaceous earth comes in contact with the insects, the sharp edges lacerate the bugs waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery diatomaceous earth absorbs the body fluids causing death from dehydration.

Food grade diatomaceous earth has been used for at least two decades as a natural wormer for livestock. Some believe diatomaceous earth scratches and dehydrates parasites. Some scientists believe that diatomaceous earth is a de-ionizer or de-energizer of worms or parasites. Regardless, people report definite control. To be most effective, food grade diatomaceous earth must be fed long enough to catch all newly hatching eggs or cycling of the worms through the lungs and back to the stomach. A minimum of 60 days is suggested by many, 90 days is advised for lungworms.

Food grade diatomaceous earth works in a purely physical/mechanical manner, not "chemical" and thus has no chemical toxicity. Best yet, parasites don’t build up a tolerance/immunity to its chemical reaction, so rotation of wormers is unnecessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Diatomaceous Earth as Parasite Control

diatomaceous earth would kill your FF. Its basically glass, and works by cutting the inverts between body segments many many many times. Hemolymph drains out- bugs die.

I use it for ant control
FloridaFrogger likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 AM

diatom cases- Silicon oxide.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Mod

Is the death instant or would the frogs have a chance to eat a few DE dusted FFs before they die? Would that even be a good idea?
frograck likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:02 AM

Death isnt instant. I would NOT dust or get it near FFs
Old 03-04-2013, 04:10 PM

While folks do use DE as a dewormer for larger animals like farm livestock (with much controversy regarding efficacy and safety), I wouldn't ever get it near a frog. It is a potent mechanical irritant, and I have to believe it would cause irritation to your frog's digestive tract and skin.
FloridaFrogger likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 PM

they use it to rid chickens of mites very frequently.

Id consider using it as mite control where my FF are cultured, but Id never get it near my frogs delicate skin
JPccusa likes this.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:25 PM

For external parasites like fleas, mites, etc, it works quite well. I always kept my back yard in Georgia well seeded with it to kill ticks, fire ants, and fleas, and it worked gangbusters. My pets never had any of fleas, I never saw a tick, and the fire ants would show up now and then, but rarely stay very long. On bigger critters like dogs, goats, and people, you can just apply it straight to the affected area. The skin is so thick that the worst it's going to do is cause a little irritation. (Don't get that crap in your eyes though! OUCH!)

The skin and digestive tract of frogs are much much thinner and more delicate though. I can't imagine it being anything but bad for them to come in direct contact with it. To scale, it would be akin to us swallowing freshly shattered ceramic pottery bits the size of pea gravel.
frogparty and JPccusa like this.

Last edited by hamsterdave; 03-04-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Do you just set your cultures directly on the DE? Does it spread DE around every time you lift the culture? I've been using mite paper but it makes me a bit uneasy, so I'm contemplating the switch.

I was thinking about setting it up in a tray with some supports for the cultures, slightly elevated above the DE so I can move the cultures without disturbing it.

Or just do a moat around where each culture would sit.

But if it really doesn't spread too much, then it's probably not worth it.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Mod

I just put the cultures directly on DE. The powder cakes under the cultures a little bit, but a few taps should make the clumps fall.

You can try that method at first. If you think there is too much mess then just put some base under each culture. Maybe squares of leftover egg crate? Just make sure the egg crate bases don't touch each other (don't do a solid piece for all the cultures).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JPccusa For This Useful Post:
miko12 (05-21-2013), SDRiding (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM

very interesting. thanks for sharing