Most "lucrative" breeding business? - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise


facebook

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 AM
WTFJayJay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Hey guys im new here and new to these frogs but not to reptiles or breeding. Was't sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it.


I used to breed ball pythons but had to let my collection go due to finantual issues. I loved the experiance and from selling it was nice haveing some extra cash to support the hobby. Now that im back up to par with my bills im ready to jump back in. I thought about doing snakes again but the nicer morphs i used to have are a good bit more expencive to get a good collection going vs fogs or better yet geckoes. Not to mention they are both mature or are just at "breeding size" at a much younger age compaired to ball pythons, as well as there inclosers take up less room and feeding is much cheaper especially with the darts it seems to be anyway.


So my questoin is what would be a more lucrative breeding business; dart frogs or leopard/crested geckos. Im still verry new to the frogs and still have a tonnnnnnn to learn but would start off verry slow with an addult pair of tincs. The pluss side of them vs the geckos is that the geckos are much more popular at reptile show than dart frogs. The ones i go to anyway. But thats because they are much more common and seem to be over all easier to care for expecially for the beginner. But in saying that you all know how manny impulse buyers there are at those shows.. ive been one of them... Id feel much better about letting someone who was new to reptiles take one of my geckos vs a dart frog just simply because of the beginner care of them. Don't want you guys to think im wanting to do this just for the money! Just as i made sure all my snakes when to a good home I would want to do the same with any animal I prouced.


Would love to head your opinion and or personal experiances!

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 04:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 110
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

I don't know anything about geckos... but I can give you this: If you are looking for lucrative, pick a business where you don't have to compete with folks who do it as a hobby.
__________________
Leo Skiba
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spectre66 For This Useful Post:
devder1 (02-13-2011)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 AM
WTFJayJay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Well that kinda defeats the purpose of this whole thread... not saying your not right, but if that was the case wouldnt every average joe have some sort of private business?.. It all boils down to money. You cant start up anything with out big bux. But thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 110
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Its just tough to make money where so many do it as a hobby... That's not to mention the fact that the pet trade as a whole is hit hard by swings in the economy...

Those who are successful with dart frogs as a buisiness have spent years building connections with zoos & other institutions. I think you'll also find that most of them make quite a bit of their income from sales of supplies.
__________________
Leo Skiba
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 05:05 AM
WTFJayJay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Verry true! Ive actually notice that looking at all the differnt sites for the frogs I want to buy. Everyone does seem to have anything and everything for sale to care for the animals. Not that its bad its great, but compaired to other animals like snakes for example alot of breeders dont even offer heat pads/flexwat or even feeders..

but still reguarless of money im itching to get back into the hobby and stop blowing all my extra cash on my reef tank .

i guess i asked the question possibly more base on money income more than i really care about but everyone like money.. so it was just in the back of my mind and could really help me choose what to do.

i also have a verry good friend who breeds chamillians and ive seen him struggle to really make much even being one of the only chamillion venders at most shows so im not assuming its easy at all.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 110
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

you got it... You can make money... but I wouldn't call it lucrative.

Anyway, I'm sure folks who are more in the know than I will chime in here soon...
__________________
Leo Skiba
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spectre66 For This Useful Post:
WTFJayJay (02-12-2011)
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Ed Ed is offline
TWI/ASN
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 17,475
Thanks: 308
Thanked 2,124 Times in 1,416 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Depending on the feeding schedule it can take a ball python up to two years to become sexually mature (although some wait until the third year).. It can take some dart frogs two years to become sexually mature as well...

Ed
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 05:28 AM
alex111683's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arcata, CA
Posts: 766
Thanks: 27
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFJayJay View Post
So my questoin is what would be a more lucrative breeding business; dart frogs or leopard/crested geckos.
How could you say this and then write the following

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFJayJay View Post
Don't want you guys to think im wanting to do this just for the money!
If your asking what's more lucrative, then to me it seems like your in it for the money.
__________________
0.2 Cainarachi Valley Imitator, 4.0 Intermedius, 0.0.2 FG Dwarf Cobalt, 1.1.2 T/B Auratus
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 05:32 AM
JJuchems's Avatar
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,152
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 58
Thanked 87 Times in 54 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

It is a long process, but to make it simple. I have always made more from geckos than frogs. Geckos support my animal room, and that is why I am reducing number of animals I keep, including geckos. A quick look at single animal sales, I sold a crested gecko in 2006 for $700. The most expensive frog I have sold has been $150.

Geckos
1. Geckos you feed for a few months to get started then sell.
2. Easy to distribute to local/regional resellers pet shops
3. Easy to get first time hobbyist sales

Dart Frogs
1. Feed tadpoles for 50+day, then froglets for a few months
2. Do not make a good pet shop/retail animal
3. Due to feeding and habitat, not the best beginner amphibians

Keep in mind, this is just looking at the breeding business. Dart frogs hobby is different than other herp hobbies when you look at responsible breeding and selling. Not mixing locales or species, hybrids, ect. Most hobbyist are not ready for the feeding aspect alone. Trying to do this purely for profit takes years, and really is it worth it?
__________________
Happy Frogging,
Jason
Facebook: Poisonfrogs.net

Last edited by JJuchems; 02-12-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JJuchems For This Useful Post:
WTFJayJay (02-12-2011)
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 05:47 AM
WTFJayJay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex111683 View Post
How could you say this and then write the following



If your asking what's more lucrative, then to me it seems like your in it for the money.

when i say im not in it for the money im saying im not looking to make big bux. should have worded it anouther way. when i did sell my snakes i always let them go for verry good price compaired to what they would usually go for because i could moove them verry fast, make more room, and of course to get some money back for the hobby.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 AM
WTFJayJay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuchems View Post
It is a long process, but to make it simple. I have always made more from geckos than frogs. Geckos support my animal room, and that is why I am reducing number of animals I keep, including geckos. A quick look at single animal sales, I sold a crested gecko in 2006 for $700. The most expensive frog I have sold has been $150.

Geckos
1. Geckos you feed for a few months to get started then sell.
2. Easy to distribute to local/regional resellers pet shops
3. Easy to get first time hobbyist sales

Dart Frogs
1. Feed tadpoles for 50+day, then froglets for a few months
2. Do not make a good pet shop/retail animal
3. Due to feeding and habitat, not the best beginner amphibians

Keep in mind, this is just looking at the breeding business. Dart frogs hobby is different than other herp hobbies when you look at responsible breeding and selling. Not mixing locales or species, hybrids, ect. Most hobbyist are not ready for the feeding aspect alone. Trying to do this purely for profit takes years, and really is it worth it?


now this is what im looking for! first hand experiance! and a verry good point about not crossing the frogs. the geckos are the same species you just crossing differnt morphs to get that true gym. so technically every male and female you had could be bread with eachother to come up with endless collor morphs.

but the the frogs you have pairs or trios of each collor or species
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 AM
JJuchems's Avatar
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,152
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 58
Thanked 87 Times in 54 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFJayJay View Post
now this is what im looking for! first hand experiance!
I'm just a hobbyist but I cornered a lot of my local market in geckos. I have now given it to a good friend. Depending where you live, yours market may already be cornered. Many of the bigger guys have exclusivity deals. Our local rodent guy has that with the shops, they buy from him and no one else. These set-ups allow for quick sells at low profit, but allow a outlet for "lower color quality" morphs.
__________________
Happy Frogging,
Jason
Facebook: Poisonfrogs.net
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:15 AM
skylsdale's Avatar
TWI/ASN
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 2,218
Thanks: 124
Thanked 475 Times in 213 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFJayJay View Post
and a verry good point about not crossing the frogs. the geckos are the same species you just crossing differnt morphs to get that true gym. so technically every male and female you had could be bread with eachother to come up with endless collor morphs.
This is a bit different in the Dendrobatid hobby, and generally strongly frowned upon.

There are numerous frogs in teh hobby that are the same species...but within that species are numerous locales/morphs (i.e. seperate isolated breeding population) in the wild. For instance, Oophaga pumilio is found on many Panamanian islands, and each island has its own phenotype. Same species, but mixing these morphs/phenotypes is not something condoned by very many hobbyists...and those who do generally don't condone it recklessly or for profit (i.e. creating trademark and/or designer morphs to sell and make a name and/or money). If you were to, and become known for it, you would probably find your potential market shrink at a pretty surprising rate.

The attitude of Dendrobatid hobbyists is quite a bit different than the herp crowd at-large because it is a smaller niche hobby...sort of like killifish hobbyists are a niche within the larger aquarium community. If this is somethign you would really want to give a go, aside from all the practical points JJuchems expressed above, I would get to know the culture and some of its idiosynchrocies--it's not just about money and "cool frogs" for many of those involved.
__________________
Ron
MICROCOSM 2014
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to skylsdale For This Useful Post:
boabab95 (02-13-2011), fleshfrombone (02-12-2011), ggazonas (02-12-2011), JJuchems (02-12-2011), Philsuma (02-12-2011), Pumilo (02-12-2011), stemcellular (02-12-2011)
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:21 AM
WTFJayJay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

yup its just as my buddy has tought me with his chamillions, its the same way. even though they are the same speices and from the same general area they may be simply devided by water or mountain. inturn overtime they have all evolved differntly. and as you mentioned same goes for manny differnt fish.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 04:22 PM
fleshfrombone's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,605
Thanks: 61
Thanked 124 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Your questions, self proclaimed background, and earlier threads have me worried. My problem with this hobby getting too big and commercial is the encroachment of the typical cross breed/make profit herper. As a community we've done an amazing job policing ourselves in that regard but I'm starting to notice a trend of eager new hobbyists without the same strict adherence to our "code," for lack of a better term. Is this hobby going to devolve the same way the others have?
__________________
Ranitomeya Adelphobates Ameeraga Hyloxalus Dendrobates Oophaga
Μολὼν λαβέ
[X]Gun Owner [ ]Victim
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fleshfrombone For This Useful Post:
alex111683 (02-12-2011), dmartin72 (02-12-2011), ggazonas (02-12-2011), Pumilo (02-12-2011)
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Pumilo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 9,239
Thanks: 781
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,122 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFJayJay View Post
So my questoin is what would be a more lucrative breeding business; dart frogs or leopard/crested geckos. Don't want you guys to think im wanting to do this just for the money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFJayJay View Post
Well that kinda defeats the purpose of this whole thread... not saying your not right, but if that was the case wouldnt every average joe have some sort of private business?.. It all boils down to money. You cant start up anything with out big bux. But thanks for the input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFJayJay View Post
i guess i asked the question possibly more base on money income more than i really care about but everyone like money.. so it was just in the back of my mind and could really help me choose what to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFJayJay View Post
when i say im not in it for the money im saying im not looking to make big bux. should have worded it anouther way. when i did sell my snakes i always let them go for verry good price compaired to what they would usually go for because i could moove them verry fast, make more room, and of course to get some money back for the hobby.
How is this not just about the money? Every one of us who has ever sold a frog started out as a hobbyist with a love for frogs. To any of us, breeding is a labor of love.
Here we have a self proclaimed cross breeder who has not said word one about any love, or fascination for frogs. Seems like every other post is simply about money. The one that should really concern us is this one. "because i could moove them verry fast". Doesn't this reek of mass production? Making a "Frog Mill" modeled after a "Puppy Mill"? What about the comments that he is only leaning towards frogs because they are cheaper to feed and you can get away with smaller enclosures?
I'm sorry, but this thread really bothers me. Anybody else see red? I think I need to walk away from this before I say something I'll regret (again!).
__________________
Doug
New varieties of microfauna wanted.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
alex111683 (02-12-2011), boabab95 (02-13-2011), fleshfrombone (02-12-2011), randa4 (02-14-2011), VicSkimmr (02-14-2011)
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 PM
alex111683's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arcata, CA
Posts: 766
Thanks: 27
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
How is this not just about the money? Every one of us who has ever sold a frog started out as a hobbyist with a love for frogs. To any of us, breeding is a labor of love.
Here we have a self proclaimed cross breeder who has not said word one about any love, or fascination for frogs. Seems like every other post is simply about money. The one that should really concern us is this one. "because i could moove them verry fast". Doesn't this reek of mass production? Making a "Frog Mill" modeled after a "Puppy Mill"? What about the comments that he is only leaning towards frogs because they are cheaper to feed and you can get away with smaller enclosures?
I'm sorry, but this thread really bothers me. Anybody else see red? I think I need to walk away from this before I say something I'll regret (again!).
I was feeling the same way last night after reading the original post and didn't want to say anything too harsh. I am glad I am not the only one that feels like this after reading this thread and the OP responses.
__________________
0.2 Cainarachi Valley Imitator, 4.0 Intermedius, 0.0.2 FG Dwarf Cobalt, 1.1.2 T/B Auratus
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Boondoggle's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vacaville, California
Posts: 1,420
Thanks: 142
Thanked 119 Times in 83 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Here's the deal, and I'm speaking as a former boa/colubrid "morph" guy. There traditionally are only a couple ways to make breeding "lucrative". One is by finding something new that breeds large volumes quickly (i.e. the African House snake boom). There isn't really a frog equivelant for this at the time.

The other more common way is by getting in early on the next big morph (Giant Super Pied Satin Bumblebee Ball Pythons, etc.). Buyers are willing to spend inflated prices for the next big thing because they are willing to take the chance that they can still catch the price swell before the market corrects and price drops. Once the price drops then you are competing with hobbyists who aren't necessarily looking to make a profit. The "morph" market doesn't exist with frogs (hopefully never will) as line bred, and genetically mutated animals are actually considered worth much less.

This is not to say that you can't make some money, I just wouldn't call it "lucrative" by any means. Most hobbyists are happy to break even over the years, and any business that makes money is doing so by dealing with animals in bulk.

If you wanted to make money in frogs, find a related business niche (for instance it's much easier to get rich breeding feeder rats than it is pythons). Niches that I see related to frogs that I think are not really being exploited fully are tanks, fly's and alternate feeders, affordable shipping supplies...premixed clay might be good...think along those lines.
__________________
- Jeremy
Frogs have it easy, they can eat what bugs them.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 PM
JJuchems's Avatar
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,152
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 58
Thanked 87 Times in 54 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

My experience has been those who are not willing to complete the research, use the correct spelling or form of the word, and want to make a quick buck end up not producing frogs. They buy all the stuff, try and try but in the end get impatient and leave. Of all the animals I have worked with, amphibians are the most time consuming and hardest (mentally).

Step to success can be found by:
Read, Read, Read, cast out other herp information, immerse yourself in the dart frogs hobby and practices and then try to reproduce. Amphibian hobby does not compare to many of the other herp breeding hobbies. I believe this is why so few quality amphibian are available it herp swaps.
__________________
Happy Frogging,
Jason
Facebook: Poisonfrogs.net
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JJuchems For This Useful Post:
skylsdale (02-13-2011)
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,316
Thanks: 119
Thanked 132 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

You know usually I try to keep an open mind and defend new posters but even I have to go onrecord and saying this thread reeks of cluelessness to the point of me wondering if it is a set up. What is a chamillion? And how do you plan on making money breeding something you obviously know nothing about?

Crawl before you walk before you run. Instead of jumping into breeding, how about keeping a few darts for a number of months to see if you can even keep them alive and enjoy the time and effort involved?
__________________
Open your mind or close your mouth.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mantisdragon91 For This Useful Post:
billschwinn (02-13-2011)
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Mitch's Avatar
TWI/ASN
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 2,420
Thanks: 106
Thanked 117 Times in 97 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

If you openly admit you're only in it for the money, no hobbyist is going to want to buy from you. Only being in it for the money means that you do everything as cheaply as possible, and this will show with the quality of animals produced.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitch For This Useful Post:
alex111683 (02-12-2011)
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:20 PM
alex111683's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arcata, CA
Posts: 766
Thanks: 27
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
If you openly admit you're only in it for the money, no hobbyist is going to want to buy from you. Only being in it for the money means that you do everything as cheaply as possible, and this will show with the quality of animals produced.
I have already written down the screen name for future reference when I'm looking for new frogs.
__________________
0.2 Cainarachi Valley Imitator, 4.0 Intermedius, 0.0.2 FG Dwarf Cobalt, 1.1.2 T/B Auratus
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Okapi's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ky
Posts: 882
Thanks: 99
Thanked 99 Times in 68 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

I would suggest looking into a reptile species if you plan to make money. Darts are for the most part a money sink, like reef tanks. In fact, Ive found that there is alot of cross over between the salt water and dart frog hobbies. People start out with darts (or a reef), to set up a thriving piece of nature for themselves to enjoy, then try their hand at the other for the same reason. If you want to get into darts, go in slowly.

Approach it like you likely approached the reef hobby. Research a lot. Expect to spend more than you receive back. Personally enjoy whatever tanks you set up. With a reef tank, you spend a lot of money on even a bare bones set up. The aquarium itself costs money to maintain. Any money made off the aquarium would be coral frags grown and sold over time. Often times, frags are traded rather than sold. This hobby is just like that. If the environment is right, the frogs will reproduce over time. Some people sell their froglets, some trade them. The same goes for plants. A lot of people sell plant cuttings of species that are vivarium suitable more often than froglets.

I would suggest that if you want to make money, go with reptiles. Leopard geckos or crested geckos are easy to keep, more forgiving, and a lot easier to market. Then, find what ever frog species YOU would like to keep and set up a vivarium for them. Keep a pair and if they breed for you, see if you can break even on your investment. Dont go for the flavor of the month morph or let prices dictate your choice. This is a personal decision, go with a dart that you personally enjoy watching. Keep them for a while and reevaluate your thoughts on them. Either you will become addicted like the rest of us and end up spending more money on plants and frogs than you can make back, or you will decide that the hobby is not for you, sell the pair of frogs and have learned something.
__________________
Viv
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:
WTFJayJay (02-14-2011)
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Rain_Frog's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 3,854
Thanks: 45
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

There are also many hobbyists out there that even prefer to give away free frogs to friends or just because they love frogs, and / or donate money from frog sales to conservation instead of pocketing all of it.

If you want to make money, sell supplies.
__________________
My new site: www.patchofdirtonline.com
gardening tips, and soon mantella and dart tips.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
frogface's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 8,409
Thanks: 1,427
Thanked 663 Times in 506 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain_Frog View Post
There are also many hobbyists out there that even prefer to give away free frogs to friends or just because they love frogs, and / or donate money from frog sales to conservation instead of pocketing all of it.

If you want to make money, sell supplies.
That's true. I'll probably give away more than I sell, assuming I get froglets some day. On that note, having frogs does not mean having froglets. I'm still playing Barry White for mine.
__________________
Kris
Find a local frog vet here --> http://www.arav.org/
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 PM
alex111683's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arcata, CA
Posts: 766
Thanks: 27
Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogface View Post
That's true. I'll probably give away more than I sell, assuming I get froglets some day. On that note, having frogs does not mean having froglets. I'm still playing Barry White for mine.
Maybe they're more the Marvin Gaye type.
__________________
0.2 Cainarachi Valley Imitator, 4.0 Intermedius, 0.0.2 FG Dwarf Cobalt, 1.1.2 T/B Auratus
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 PM
fleshfrombone's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,605
Thanks: 61
Thanked 124 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

If Doug, Roman, and Jason say take a step back, breathe, and do your research then there's something seriously wrong going on. Like Alex I'm making a note of the screen name and mannerisms.... The best most of us hope for is to make the hobby free or at least as cheap as possible by selling/trading offspring. Take Ray for example, he has an impressive collection, but he doesn't do it for the money. He does it because he likes frogs and if he can have the frogs pay for themselves great. Again your approach is disturbing.
__________________
Ranitomeya Adelphobates Ameeraga Hyloxalus Dendrobates Oophaga
Μολὼν λαβέ
[X]Gun Owner [ ]Victim

Last edited by fleshfrombone; 02-12-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 10:34 PM
packer43064's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 337
Thanks: 3
Thanked 32 Times in 15 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

I made a thread like this awhile ago. The only difference was that it pertained to insect feeders and I liked insects to begin with and not in it for the money. I don't know if you are or not...obviously to some point any seller who has a business is in it for money.

I've spent alot of money on racks, heating elements, culturing supplies, new stock, shipping supplies, making a website, and alot more. I'm also going to become a sponsor, not because I will have ads on here and advertise, but because this site made my business. They had all the answers I ever needed. I researched ALOT and still researching new insects, but sometimes questions needs to be asked. I'm not going to give out how much it all cost so far, but it wasn't cheap. I couldn't even imagine trying to start a business selling dart frogs. The frogs and tanks alone would oust how much I spent easily.

It can be done, but learn the basics and then ALOT more and then you can try to breed some easier frogs and go forward from there. Look at my thread "Breeding FF's for Profit". It can be found in the food and feeding part of this site. I've came a long way since this thread.

Jeff
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packer43064 For This Useful Post:
Rain_Frog (02-13-2011), WTFJayJay (02-14-2011)
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,018
Thanks: 3
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

I'm not sure why this turned so negative. As long as you are asking the questions befor you venture I see no harm with you trying to get answers.

As far as some stating that frogs and reefs are money pits I am really confused. Both have obvious start up costs that can get expensive but darts are by far one of the cheapest to setup. The biggest expense is the physical tank followed by the frogs. Everything in between is relatively cheap(plants, substarte, lighting). Once the tank has been up and running it takes almost no time or money to maintain. The only cost I have now is when I need to buy more fruit fly culture mix or if a bulb needs replacing.

I do not know of anyone making decent money selling just frogs. Like stated it takes alot of time to raise a tad to a froglet of proper sellable size. It is almost hand in hand that in order to make money you would need to sell any and everything associated with the frog setup and nutritional needs.

Most of the common frogs such as auratus, tincs, and luecs are very easy to breed. Once you get your tanks properly setup and match up pairs they are not much more difficult than rabbits. Again, they do not produce in great numbers and are very time consuming due to the grow out process. Unlike clownfish that spawn every 2-3 weeks, laying 200+ eggs, and having offspring ready for sale in 3 months.

I'd say you are at the take it slow, don't jump it too fast and keep asking questions until you feel you have enough information to get "started."
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellyman For This Useful Post:
bmore (02-14-2011), Rain_Frog (02-13-2011)
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Catfur's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Carlsbad, NM
Posts: 2,532
Thanks: 2
Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyman View Post
I'm not sure why this turned so negative.
Because it's the Internet.

You can make money selling frogs, it's hard work, will probably take a long time, and I don't know anyone making money at it who didn't start as a hobbyist. The real money is in plants, feeders and supplies.

This message brought to you by Haterade (TM), the official drink of the internet.
__________________
Raw Egg (Electric)
Rotten Egg (Photo)
Fried Egg (Radio)
Bad Egg (?) EG&G
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Catfur For This Useful Post:
bmore (02-14-2011), Rain_Frog (02-13-2011), siples (02-13-2011)
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Rain_Frog's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 3,854
Thanks: 45
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

I agree with Brian (jellyman). It's better to ask questions now BEFORE you do something you may regret later. But true, please keep frogs before considering to sell them.

And decorations only cost a lot of money if you want to be fancy. I no longer spend money on standard glass aquariums and just use rubbermaid bins which are cheap. I mix coco peat, sphagnum, and coco chips for a substrate then put oak leaves on top. Throw some plant clippings from another vivarium and that's it. I used to waste a lot of money on compact fluorescent fixtures / bulbs and I now I just use the screw in type from Home Depot or shop lights.
__________________
My new site: www.patchofdirtonline.com
gardening tips, and soon mantella and dart tips.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 03:18 PM
daryl34's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: chicago il, usa
Posts: 401
Thanks: 2
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

In regards to amphibians, the one believe it or not you can make the best money at it axotols(sp?) . My reasoniing is this my darts do well, but the axotols are used in every lab for regenerations. If you do your research they but all you can produce, with standing orders. Check it out you may be surprised.
Daryl

There are animals you can make some money at. Just pick one that is used in a research and you always have some one who can use them. Hobby and business are too completely different things. Please seperate the two and it will work.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 PM
fleshfrombone's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,605
Thanks: 61
Thanked 124 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfur View Post
Because it's the Internet.

You can make money selling frogs, it's hard work, will probably take a long time, and I don't know anyone making money at it who didn't start as a hobbyist. The real money is in plants, feeders and supplies.

This message brought to you by Haterade (TM), the official drink of the internet.
Or maybe it's because he sounds like an 8 year old getting in way over his head.
__________________
Ranitomeya Adelphobates Ameeraga Hyloxalus Dendrobates Oophaga
Μολὼν λαβέ
[X]Gun Owner [ ]Victim
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 20
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

I think that some people just have a seriously messed up since of humor. I felt this was a setup from post one. Notice how he hasn't comented back, felt to me like someone got there feelings hurt on another post and under another name. Say some crazy stuff to a passionate group of people, and sparks are bound to fly, and I guess thats "entertainment." This is not the first time I have seen something like this on these boards (just the first I chose to coment on) and it sure wont be the last we see. Sorry if its not my place to say something but I coulndn't help my self... Just so you know where I am coming from, I have spent over a year just reading every thread I can and posting very seldom unless I feel like i have something to offer, basicaly every "general" question has been answered you just have to look for them. Not to say that there aren't personal twist on these questions that need to be asked and should be. I still do not own one frog, not because of space or money constraints I just want to get it right for these little guys because they are so awesome. I have alot of general knowledge concerning reptiles and amphibians (helped manage a reptile shop for two years) and I still don't feel comfortable yet. Maybe over cautious but I have been in over my head having to easy of access to these types of animals. lesson learned, just my piece.

Derek

Last edited by dendroderek; 02-13-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2011, 12:52 AM
WTFJayJay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshfrombone View Post
Your questions, self proclaimed background, and earlier threads have me worried. My problem with this hobby getting too big and commercial is the encroachment of the typical cross breed/make profit herper. As a community we've done an amazing job policing ourselves in that regard but I'm starting to notice a trend of eager new hobbyists without the same strict adherence to our "code," for lack of a better term. Is this hobby going to devolve the same way the others have?


first offff holllllyyy crap.... gone for a day and this thing is pages long..

not sure what you mean by "self proclaimed background".. but reguardless of that i know exactly what you mean. i breed cichlids just for fun and take them to my shop for store credit just for food and extra supplys for my reef and such. there are soooo manny cross bred africans i cant stand it and honestly stores dont even care, they take and sell any of them because the general public does not know what it truly is or care. its just pretty to them..

so before i read threw all this and have other people possibly mention as you have suggesting i may cross them to produce some differnt morph that is not the case.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 AM
WTFJayJay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisdragon91 View Post
You know usually I try to keep an open mind and defend new posters but even I have to go onrecord and saying this thread reeks of cluelessness to the point of me wondering if it is a set up. What is a chamillion? And how do you plan on making money breeding something you obviously know nothing about?

Crawl before you walk before you run. Instead of jumping into breeding, how about keeping a few darts for a number of months to see if you can even keep them alive and enjoy the time and effort involved?

bahah wow.. i got kinda pissed when i first saw this.. CHAMELEON!! ha there im a 22 year old dyslexic fool.. no joke you should see some of my college papers..

but no, one of my best friends owns Chameleon Kingdom.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 AM
WTFJayJay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
Here's the deal, and I'm speaking as a former boa/colubrid "morph" guy. There traditionally are only a couple ways to make breeding "lucrative". One is by finding something new that breeds large volumes quickly (i.e. the African House snake boom). There isn't really a frog equivelant for this at the time.

The other more common way is by getting in early on the next big morph (Giant Super Pied Satin Bumblebee Ball Pythons, etc.). Buyers are willing to spend inflated prices for the next big thing because they are willing to take the chance that they can still catch the price swell before the market corrects and price drops. Once the price drops then you are competing with hobbyists who aren't necessarily looking to make a profit. The "morph" market doesn't exist with frogs (hopefully never will) as line bred, and genetically mutated animals are actually considered worth much less.

This is not to say that you can't make some money, I just wouldn't call it "lucrative" by any means. Most hobbyists are happy to break even over the years, and any business that makes money is doing so by dealing with animals in bulk.

If you wanted to make money in frogs, find a related business niche (for instance it's much easier to get rich breeding feeder rats than it is pythons). Niches that I see related to frogs that I think are not really being exploited fully are tanks, fly's and alternate feeders, affordable shipping supplies...premixed clay might be good...think along those lines.

wow some of you guys are taking this a little to personally it seems... dont get me wrong i understand these frogs are almost like a passion to some of you and i understand completely so i wont take much of what has been said to heart.

but this guy knows where im coming from^^. snakes have been my only comparable personal experience when it come to really getting into breeding an animal.

and ill say it again i know there are no morphs when it comes to these guys. there’s no market for them anyway because just as you all say your all trying to keep it pure!
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2011, 01:10 AM
Ed Ed is offline
TWI/ASN
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 17,475
Thanks: 308
Thanked 2,124 Times in 1,416 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFJayJay View Post
wow some of you guys are taking this a little to personally it seems... dont get me wrong i understand these frogs are almost like a passion to some of you and i understand completely so i wont take much of what has been said to heart.

but this guy knows where im coming from^^. snakes have been my only comparable personal experience when it come to really getting into breeding an animal.

and ill say it again i know there are no morphs when it comes to these guys. there’s no market for them anyway because just as you all say your all trying to keep it pure!
There is a third way.. that is to hold onto a prolific species until a couple of years after the market collapses and then breed them.. look at the last 20 of how it has worked for horned frogs...

Ed
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed For This Useful Post:
Chris Miller (02-14-2011)
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 AM
WTFJayJay's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 13
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

just read everything.. and i dont even know what to say.... i thought people on my car forums were harsh...

anyway thanks to those that have given advice and actual constructive criticism vs just bashing. everyone has to ask questoins to lean in these hobbys. isnt that what these forums are for?

And id really like to say this; all the "business talk" is just a serious thought so i hate it was taken so out of context.. I am putting together my first viv right now and ordering an adult pair of tincs once its set up for a bit. I really don’t know why so many people are treating this hole thins so negatively.. I picture you guys seeing me having my first frogs for sale before they are even out of eggs or something…
i have love and passion for animals in general. I’ve got 2 rescue dogs, 4 cats, and 3 fish tanks. I also actually work at a local aquarium business and volunteer at the GA Aquarium. So i hope you guys will come to find im not the horrible person alot of you have been acting like i am. :P

Last edited by WTFJayJay; 02-14-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2011, 01:52 AM
fleshfrombone's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,605
Thanks: 61
Thanked 124 Times in 75 Posts
Default Re: Most "lucrative" breeding business?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFJayJay View Post
first offff holllllyyy crap.... gone for a day and this thing is pages long..

not sure what you mean by "self proclaimed background".. but reguardless of that i know exactly what you mean. i breed cichlids just for fun and take them to my shop for store credit just for food and extra supplys for my reef and such. there are soooo manny cross bred africans i cant stand it and honestly stores dont even care, they take and sell any of them because the general public does not know what it truly is or care. its just pretty to them..

so before i read threw all this and have other people possibly mention as you have suggesting i may cross them to produce some differnt morph that is not the case.
No need to take it personally or go on the defensive. The point I was making is this is a niche hobby and as such we keep out and refuse to do business with people who take the standard herp breeder mentality of making a name (and cash for that matter) for themselves by creating the newest and greatest locale cross thus bastardizing what nature has already done a great job providing. This particular hobby is extremely reputation based and it is important to us to maintain the rigid standards we uphold when it comes to said crossing. I'd hate to see this hobby which I've been a part of for several years become another mainstream gene mash up. It's also disconcerting when someone no one has had dealings with comes on here and asks what the most lucrative breeding business is when the vast majority aren't here to peddle animals. Almost everything I've bred has gone to other hobbyists free of charge. To sum it up approaching this hobby with the intent of making money isn't appropriate. You say one thing then contradict it in the next sentence.
__________________
Ranitomeya Adelphobates Ameeraga Hyloxalus Dendrobates Oophaga
Μολὼν λαβέ
[X]Gun Owner [ ]Victim

Last edited by fleshfrombone; 02-14-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Uyama II" pumilio woohoo! (breeding clip and pics) ChrisK Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles 2 05-24-2009 12:13 AM
Pumilio "bastimentos" tips on breeding? tyler Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles 2 12-12-2006 12:27 AM
"... large-scale captive breeding programme ..." yuri General Discussion 1 09-14-2005 07:45 PM
breeding D. tinctorius "Citronella" General Discussion 1 01-28-2005 12:02 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
© 2004-2008, Dendroboard. Copyright Abuse Policy & Safe Harbor Reporting

Get Firefox! Fauna Top Sites Dendroboard Twitter