Dendroboard banner

Termites causing Azureus to lay?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  davidadelp 
#1 ·
I dont know if its just me or does termites make frogs horny or something lol. The past 2 times I have fed termites my Azureus have laid eggs for me either the same day or the very next day. Is it just a weird thing thats happening or has anyone heard of this or had the same experiences?

#2 ·
Fat availability is one of the primary limiting agents on ovulation. Excess calories and fat availability is one of the reasons we see so much trouble with fertility and tadpole devlelopment......

Ed

#4 ·
If they are producing eggs faster than they can provision the eggs with all of the appropriate vitamins and minerals (as those don't restrict or limit egg production) then the female is losing those nutrients to the eggs.. so yes it can be an issue. It is an artifact of the tendency to overfeed the frogs in the hobby. Extra calories are turned into fat which allows a sped up time line for egg production....

Ed

#5 ·
Ed, so if I undstand you correctly, if we feed normally for lack of a better term, we will likely see less offspring however, reduce the chance of having potentional problems with eggs, tads, and froglets during developmental stages?

I ask as I keep very common species with extensive availability. I have no reason to try and speed up production as I don't keep frogs with a sole focus on breeding.

I have been feeding heavily, falsely believing that it was important to ensure that females get back those appropriate vitimins and minerals. How do I say this more simply ? I have assumed that frogs are going to lay and therefore it is my responsibility to ensure that they get the extra calories they need. Based on your commentary above, I may actually be supporting a potential problem go-forward.

#9 ·
As an example, movement to a new enviroment is a significant stressor which can reduce the stored nutrients of the female due to increased demand to meet her metabolic needs. This will translate over to less of the appropriate nutrients for provisioning eggs. This translates into either eggs that do not develop, die during development, or are spindly leg metamorphs.

Termites have relatively high fat contents so this in addition to the fat stores can enable a more rapid egg production by the female. As fat availability is the trigger to form more eggs, the female produces eggs that are deficient in one or more nutrient that are essential to proper growth or fertility of the eggs.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.