8 cups potato flakes
1/2 cup of brewers yeast

it make about 30 cultures

about 3 days into it it smells like something died

i was using media from patrick nabours and no smell

is there something else out there that doesnt smell this bad

#17 ·
i just made 1 with cinnamon

i bought 18 lbs of media from joshs frogs and it smells like cinnamon (i didnt want to run out)

thanks

any more ideas would be great
for smell......try Vanillla extract.....just a little though.

You can't "Fail" at experimenting with different do-it-yerself culture recipes. The worst that can happen will be decreased production / yields.

Just be sure you have excess cultures or backup buddies ect before you go hog wild with the blender.

It's harder for me to list food items that I HAVEN'T added to make a culture mix....

Dried prunes....apple jax and Captain crunch.....lots of different pastas....wheat jerm..on and on.....nuts....dried fruit.

Just be sure to blend it towards a fine powder... hot water.....microwave.

It's all good and better yet....it's all found down the street at your local Giant, Weis, Giant Eagle, Piggly Wiggly, Publix....

#16 ·
my FF cultures usually are just whatever we have around at the time, thrown into a blender with a bit of yeast and vinegar added at the end.

The one which has produced the most and not smelled was about a cup of p-nuts and two slices of watermelon.

Turned out to be this lumpy pink mixture, the fly's loved it. And it didn't smell at all.

#18 ·
I've even used flour as a base for the cultures but stopped as the odor was pretty terrible.. definetly the deeper layers went anaerobic.
Any digestiable starch/sugar source will work as this is the source of the food for the yeast which is probably the main food source for the larva. However yields can be variable if there are other limiting nutrients in the media or the culture becomes contaminated with various other organisms that compete with the flies or the yeasts.

Ed

#23 ·
Try cutting it 50/50 with Carolina Mix.. the microbes that are really making it stinky are being introduced into the new cultures by the fruit flies.. you need to break that cycle to make a difference.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.