Dendroboard banner

feeding FF larvae-this worked pretty good

12K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  k5MOW 
#1 ·
I always thought feeding FF larvae as an occaisional treat was a good idea. I just always found it messy whether scraping the larvae off the sides of the FF container, or scooping out the media and trying to rinse it away leaving just the FF larvae.

So, I came up with this. I made up my regular media recipe but scooped it into small deli cups, sprinkled in some FFs, and covered it with a 16oz cup top.

After about a week when I first started seeing the larvae crawling up the sides I dumped out the FFs and replaced the top with a piece of needle point mesh. The mesh keeps the frogs from falling into the media and the holes in the mesh are big enough for the larve to crawl through. Easy pickings for the frogs.

This could also double as a vacation feeder. What every larvae doesn't crawl out or the frogs don't eat will turn into FFs in another week.

See less See more
#5 ·
It doesn't. Some feeders, like springtails and isopods, are not easy to supplement and there is not a reliable way to do so. This is not really a bad thing, it just makes feeding adult fruit flies all that much more important. I really like feeding out larvae, but don't get too carried away with it! They are much more fattening than the adults and obesity could become an issue if they are used more often than as an occasional treat.

Thanks for digging up this thread. I actually don't remember this one and Gary's idea is pretty good!

John

Reactions: BrainBug
#19 ·
I agree-- Gary's needlepoint mesh cups look marketable.
As to the vacation feeder idea-- I peel the fabric from several holes of my ff lids. Pick cultures that will start producing flies in a day or so; place culture with holes in lids in tank; go on vacation. The flies( and larvae) will crawl out at their own risk over the week I'm away. Frogs apparently like it as I find poop all over the top of the container. Be careful of very small frogs as some can get in through the lid holes.

#18 ·
I've been doing some composting fruit scraps in my tanks and this lets the same thing happen. It's great. I've debated using 6oz deli cups with media to do this as well. Just like this post but the culture lids would actually snap on when I have flies in, I'm prone to knock things over.

-Andrew

#24 ·
Frogs swallow their prey alive, soo having a meal with a larvae with such teeths could result in getting bitten from inside before the larvae suffocates? :confused:

When i am out of crickets and have to feed my tree frogs with larvae i always smash the larvae head before i give it to the frogs to prevent such injuries... it might be impossible and me being silly in my extra cautiousness. Thats why i ask so someone more educated & experienced can clear that out for me if such a risk actually exists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.