Dendroboard banner

Super easy FF culture cleaning

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Dcairelli 
#1 ·
I normally wash out fruit fly cups about once a month but I currently have a serious backup all the way from September. :eek: gross I know...

Anyway, tonight I decided to throw them all out but I noticed in the older ones that all the stuff was falling off the sides

So I thought, what the heck and tapped it out in the trash can and nearly everything just fell right out with very little effort.

It couldn't get any easier right? Here it is with just 15-20 seconds of rinsing with hot water

Probably not for everyone but if you have spare room to store them for a while it seems after 3 months aging they practically clean themselves

Or you could just throw them away like a normal non-hoarder

See less See more
#9 ·
Ok let me rephrase this comes out as a big ice cube goes into the trash
What about all the melted water?

Anyway, just an update it doesn't seem to take all that long for them to completely dry out. Maybe 2 months at most. I doubt I'll do this again but for you cup washers out there this is by far the easiest cleanup.

I ordered 500 cups from websteraunt for $35 plus shipping which is quite expensive. They don't offer vented lids but I plan on keeping my lids and tossing out the cups. 500 cups should be a two year supply for me and well worth not having to deal with all the nastiness.

#10 ·
OR you could just pour a hydroxide solution into it and depending on the concentration the hydroxide will dissolve everything or loosen it up. Strong hydroxide solutions will dissolve most things including bones, tissue, etc even glass (not many things can dissolve nor react with glass)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.