Dendroboard banner

List of Available Species

27K views 86 replies 33 participants last post by  rigel10 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All,
For my own reference I have been working on a list of all species/morphs available in the U.S. I'm sure I missed some and there may be some repetition (I'm no expert by any means), but I thought some may appreciate seeing the list. I thought this would be the best section to put it in so new people could see how many choices there are. Please help fill in anything I missed (especially the obligates...way too much to remember). Note: some species may be listed under more than one genus...I am no taxonomist so I include them as they are described.
-Field

Adelphobates:
Adelphobates castaneoticus
Adelphobates galactonotus-Red, Yellow, Orange, Golden, Koi, Solid Orange, White
Adelphobates quinquevittatus

Allobates:
Allobates femoralis
Allobates zaparo

Ameerega:
Ameerega altamazonica-Juicungo
Ameerega bassleri-Black, Yellow, Blue, Chrome, Green
Ameerega cainarachi-Standard
Ameerega hahneli- Iquitos
Ameerega pepperi- Abiseo, Orange, Orangehead, Yellow/gold
Ameerega silverstonei
Ameerega trivatta-Green, Huallaga Canyon, Bajo Huallaga, Greenback

Dendrobates:
Dendrobates auratus- Ancon Hill, Black, Blue, Blue and Black, Camo, Campana, Capira, El Cope, Golden, Green and Black (Panamanian, Costa Rican, Nicaraguan, Hawaiian), Green and Bronze, Highland Bronze, Mebalo, Microspot, Pastores,Portobelo, Reticulated, San Felix, Super Blue, Toboga, Toboga Reticulated
Dendrobates leucomelas-Banded (Narrow, Wide), Fine-Spot, Green-Foot, Nominat,
Dendrobates tinctorious- Alanis, Azureus (Fine-Spot, Sky-Blue), Bakhuis, Boulanger, Brazilian Yellow Head, Cayenne, Citronella, Cobalt (French Guiana, Surinam, Brazilian), Ensing, Giant Orange/Regina, Inferalanis, Koetari, La Fumee, Lorenzo, Matecho, Monts Atachi Bakka, New River, Nikita, Oelemarie, Oyapok, Patricia, Powder Blue, Powder Gray, Sipaliwini (true, blue, green, yellow), Table Mountain, Yellow-Back.
Dendrobates truncatus-Blue, Yellow

Epipedobates:
Epipedobates anthonyi- Sarayunga , Salvias, Santa Isabel
Epipedobates tricolor- Buena Esperanza, Highland, Maraspunga, Rio Saladillo, Zarayunga,
Epipedobates trivittatus- Green (2-stripe, 3-stripe), Orange, Red

Hyloxalus:
Hyloxalus azureiventris-Standard

Oophaga:
Oophaga arborea-?
Oophaga granufilera- Quepos, Baru
Oophaga histrionica- Redhead
Oophaga lehmanni- Red, Yellow
Oophaga pumilio- Almirante, Bastimentos (Gold Dust, Green, Orange, Red, Yellow, White), Black Jeans, Blue Jeans, BriBri, Cauchero, Caya de Agua, Cayo Nancy, Colon, Cristobal (Red, Orange, Yellow), Darkland, El Dorado, Escudo-possibly a unique species (Red, Blue), Man Creek, Popa, Robalo, Rio Branco, Solarte (Red, Orange, White), Uyama, Yellow Belly
Oophaga sylvatica
Oophaga vincenti-?

Phyllobates:
Phyllobates terribilis- Gold ,Mint, Orange, Yellow
Phyllobates bicolor- Gold, Orange Black-Leg, Yellow Green-Leg
Phyllobates vittatus- Gold, Red
Phyllobates aurotaenia- Narrow Banded

Ranitomeya:
Ranitomeya benedicta
Ranitomeya fantastica- Caynarachi, Copperhead, Lowland, Nominat, White Banded
Ranitomeya flavovittata
Ranitomeya imitator- Baja Huallaga, Banded, Caynarachi Valley, Chazuta, Green, Green-Striped, Intermedius, Tarapoto, Varadero, Yellow, Yumbatos, Yurimaguas
Ranitomeya lamasi- Green, Highland, Panguana(Green-Leg, Orange)
Ranitomeya reticulata- Iquitos, Solid
Ranitomeya summersi-Sauce, Huallaga
Ranitomeya vanzolini
Ranitomeya variabilis- Highland, Old Line, Southern, Yellow
Ranitomeya uakarii- Tahuayo, Tamshiyacu
Ranitomeya ventrimaculatus- Amazonicus, Blackwater, Borja Ridge, French Guyana (Blue-Leg, Gray-Leg), Iquitos (Orange, Red), Peruvian Gold, Rodyll

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks. Don't know how I forgot P. lugubris. Amended my main document (and alphabetized Phyllobates, I guess I ignored the whole genus or something)...will continue to update it as more people contribute and then post the finalized version.

#6 ·
I was also wondering what a gold terribilis was. As far as the white footed histos, it depends on your definition of "available." There are surely more morphs of histos than just redheads here, but that certainly doesn't mean they are frequently available or seen for sale. Same with the red and yellow lehmanni you listed... I don't know if they are here in the states (someone might have them but I don't know; I'm not into who has what rare frogs and such) but if they are here, you're not going to see them listed for sale on the general classifieds.
Bryan

Reactions: fieldnstream
#9 · (Edited)
Field its a good start, there are quite a few populations of some species you missed but I will pull the list we started a while back and send it to you. There are a few you missed, like Itaya and spotted retics, a few grannies not on there, Ive heard of there being two unrelated yellow terrib lines, orange and mint but not golds. a few you listed aren't actually here as far as a few tincs I see listed. And there are many more sylvaticus and histos here as well as lehmanni that you did not list. I will send you the list we worked on. Nice work. I guess it boils down to whether you mean readily available in the hobby, or actually in the hobby. In fact I know Mysties are here, many others most havent seen posted up here as well as a few un ID'd obligates show up now and then. Dont forget all those best guess's as well being imported. Technically they belong on a list of their own. Want to make it harder, do what we have started and add in the import years for each species and the amount brought in as far as what the paperwork shows.

Michael

#15 ·
Chocolate leucs
Chocolate leucs are not a naturally occurring population in the wild like the others listed. They are a result of some mutation that happened in captivity, and shouldn't be bred just for this "chocolate" trait. If you are adding them to the list, by that reasoning you would also have to add every albino, melanistic, or selectively bred trait (i.e. "sky blue" azureus), and I think these shouldn't be included.
Also I think some of those tricolors you have listed are actually anthonyi... I know lots of people seem to use tricolor/anthonyi interchangeably, but I think there are only a couple of true types of tricolor here, though I could be wrong. One of the epipedobates guys should be able to clear that up.
Bryan

#17 ·
Its actually the Osa/Golfito grannie locales and I believe also Palmar Norte. Field I believe its just a matter of what you want to list as in the US, Mysties are actually the only dart I know of that will get you in some serious trouble. They have never been legaly exported.

Keep in mind that auratus are a mess of a mix, there all multiple blue/black locales, green/bronze, blue/bronze as well as a few rarities like the white auratus Mark had a while back.

#18 ·
Oh and I guess its up to the hobby on whether to consider listing the selectively bred frogs as to me its something most of the hobby is against, soon enough there could be extra green imis and grass green terribs to add to the list. I would think someone will end up demanding their outcrossed and hybrids to the list next.........

#21 ·
Honestly, I originally left off sky blue azureus and chocolate leucomelas because of the selective breeding, but I included some of the possibly line-bred auratus morphs, so I decided to go ahead and include everything. I guess that since they are here and available, they should be included (maybe with a LB notation?). Originally I made the list for myself, but since its posted, its everyones list now...so whatever people feel should be included I will add, but I do believe there should be some sort of identifier for selectively-bred morphs. Essentially, what I am saying is that I want everyone to decide what should be on the list; I won't exclude a morph if it doesn't fit into my views about what should be bred, conversely I won't include a morph that most people say shouldn't be included. Maybe I can make another list that includes some of the "designer" morphs (yuck).

Keep the input coming everyone, I feel like we are starting to get some good ideas going.

#24 ·
-Cayo Nancy and Solarte are the same frog

-Red vents should be separate from Iquitos (Todd Kelley imported the red vents, as well as Iquitos orange from a separate population.... there is a UE line of Iquitos orange as well), and BL/GL vents are the same morph

-there is a red morph of A. trivittata in the hobby

-"blue"/"chrome green" bassleri are all of the "Sisa" population/are the same morph

-O. pumilio "Loma Partida," "Sarapiqui," "Rio Guarumo"

-there are also "Sisa" and "Abiseo" populations of A. altamazonica offered by UE (reference: UE's november shipment price list)

-vanzolinii spelling

-Colon & Colon "Bocas del Drago" are two separate morphs

#26 ·
Teddy....awesome input, thanks a bunch!
Brien...thanks for that, never saw that post (cool frogs for sure).

I'm going to keep aggrandizing the list and adding everyones input. I will repost the updated list soon.

Thanks again to everyone that has taken the time to offer meaningful input.

#27 ·
Hmm. Wasn't aware that sisa and Chrome bassleri were the same. I thought sisa was synonymous with the ones labeled "black" and that Chrome green and Chrome blue were the same?

Also, aren't o. Pumilio melci here now? Rio Guermo? (Spelling?)

#29 ·
I believe the yellow and black populations are the "abiseo" and "saposoa" respectively, though its a bit hard to double check from my phone. The chrome green/blue is definitely "sisa." And yeah, I mentioned the guarumos in my post, though im unsure about melci being available in the hobby.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Here is the updated list: it should reflect everyones input...the "line-bred" frogs are still listed because I'm not sure about the general opinion about their inclusion.

Adelphobates:
Adelphobates castaneoticus
Adelphobates galactonotus- Golden, Koi, Orange, Red, Solid Orange, White, Yellow
Adelphobates quinquevittatus

Allobates:
Allobates femoralis
Allobates zaparo

Ameerega:
Ameerega altamazonica- Abiseo, Juicungo, Sisa
Ameerega bassleri-Black, Blue, Sisa , Yellow
Ameerega cainarachi-Standard
Ameerega hahneli- Iquitos
Ameerega pepperi- Abiseo, Orange, Orangehead, Yellow/gold
Ameerega silverstonei
Ameerega trivatta-Green, Huallaga Canyon, Bajo Huallaga, Greenback, Red

Dendrobates:
Dendrobates auratus- Ancon Hill, Black, Blue, Blue and Black, Camo, Campana, Capira, El Cope, Golden, Green and Black (Panamanian, Costa Rican, Nicaraguan, Hawaiian), Green and Bronze, Highland Bronze, Mebalo, Microspot, Pastores,Portobelo, Reticulated, San Felix, Super Blue, Toboga, Toboga Reticulated
Dendrobates leucomelas-Banded (Narrow, Wide), Chocolate, Fine-Spot, Green-Foot, Nominat,
Dendrobates tinctorious- Alanis, Azureus (Fine-Spot, Sky-Blue), Bakhuis, Boulanger, Brazilian Yellow Head, Cayenne, Citronella, Cobalt (French Guiana, Surinam, Brazilian), Ensing, Giant Orange/Regina, Inferalanis, Koetari, La Fumee, Lorenzo, Matecho, Monts Atachi Bakka, New River, Nikita, Oelemarie, Oyapok, Patricia, Powder Blue, Powder Gray, Sipaliwini (true, blue, green, yellow), Table Mountain, Yellow-Back.
Dendrobates truncatus-Blue, Yellow

Epipedobates:
Epipedobates anthonyi- Buena Esperanza, Highland (Tierra Alta), Sarayunga, Saladillo, Salvias, Santa Isabel, Rio Zarayunga
Epipedobates tricolor- Maraspunga
Epipedobates trivittatus- Green (2-stripe, 3-stripe), Orange, Red

Hyloxalus:
Hyloxalus azureiventris-Standard

Oophaga:
Oophaga arborea-?
Oophaga granufilera- Baru, Gulfito(Osa), Palmar Norte, Quepos
Oophaga histrionica- Redhead
Oophaga lehmanni- Red, Yellow
Oophaga pumilio- Almirante, Bastimentos (Gold Dust, Green, Orange, Red, Yellow, White), Black Jeans, Blue Jeans, BriBri, Cauchero, Caya de Agua, Colon, Colon Bocas del Drago, Cristobal (Red, Orange, Yellow), Darkland, El Dorado, Escudo-possibly a unique species (Red, Blue), Loma Partida, Man Creek, Popa, Robalo, Rio Branco, Rio Guarumo, Sarapiqui, Solarte (Red, Orange, White), Uyama, Yellow Belly """ "
Oophaga sylvatica- Puerto Quito
Oophaga vincenti-?

Phyllobates:
Phyllobates aurotaenia- Narrow Banded
Phyllobates bicolor- Gold, Orange Black-Leg, Yellow Green-Leg
Phyllobates lugubris
Phyllobates terribilis- Mint, Orange, Yellow
Phyllobates vittatus- Gold, Red

Ranitomeya:
Ranitomeya benedicta
Ranitomeya fantastica- Caynarachi, Copperhead, Lowland, Nominat, White Banded
Ranitomeya flavovittata
Ranitomeya imitator- Baja Huallaga, Banded, Caynarachi Valley, Chazuta, Green, Green-Striped, Intermedius, Tarapoto, Varadero, Yellow, Yumbatos, Yurimaguas
Ranitomeya lamasi- Green, Highland, Panguana(Green-Leg, Orange)
Ranitomeya reticulata- Iquitos, Itaya, Solid, Spotted
Ranitomeya summersi-Sauce, Huallaga
Ranitomeya vanzolinii
Ranitomeya variabilis- Highland, Old Line, Southern, Yellow
Ranitomeya uakarii- Tahuayo, Tamshiyacu
Ranitomeya ventrimaculatus- Amazonicus, Blackwater, Borja Ridge, French Guyana (Blue-Leg, Gray-Leg), Iquitos (Orange, Red), Peruvian Gold, Red, Rio Napo, Rodyll

#34 ·
Heres a few things...

-Whats a golden galactonotus?
-"white" galacts are called Moonshine
-Black bassleri are also called Sapasoa
-yellow bassleri are also called Tarapoto
-blue bassleri are the same as Sisas. the blue/chrome green are from UEs imports and the Sisas are from smuggled stalk to EU that was then brought over here.
-the yellow/gold pepperi are also called Campanea
-epipedobates trivittatus is the same as the ameerega trivittata, and orange and red are the same "population"
-a few mor anthonyi populations are: Rio Canario, Rio Pasaje, and Pasaje-Sarajunga
-some more histrionica morphs: Bullseye, Saddleback, and Bahio Solano
-some more sylvatica morphs: Lita, San Juan, San Lorenzo, El Pangan (white foot, koi), and Laguna de Cube (ecuadorian)
-pumilio morphs: Bocas del Drago Miti Miti, Black jeans and saripiqui are the same, popa=Popa Norte North.
-theres also the "cristobal mainland" and the "new bri bris"
-you dont really need to put every color morph of batis, cristobals, escudos, and solartes. people might think they are different and they arent.
-the only vicentei i know of that WAS here, is the red population. but who knows if thats still around.
-arborea is just one population, so i suppose it would be nominat
-aurotaenia also has the Wide banded and green banded populations. although most likely the narrow and wide banded morphs are from the same population
-imitators: green and green striped are the same, theres also a chazuto morph that doesnt have locality data and is different from chazuta, there is also a tarapota morph thats different from the tarapoto population.
-whats a yellow imitator?
-the green lamasi are also called Lower Ucayali
-reticulata: the solid and spotted are the same, usually called standards
-whats a yellow variabilis? there should be only 3 populations

That should help some confusion, or add to it :)

#37 ·
Thanks Adam, that helped A LOT.
As I said before, the list was made by looking at breeders websites, thus some repetition is sure to occur, especially since different people call the same frogs different names (confusion!!!). Trivitatta was what I was talking about at the end of the first post when I said that some species were listed under more than one genus (to keep the format the same as I found it), but I guess I should only include it in Ameerega.
I'm quickly realizing that this list is going to be much harder to compile than I originally thought, but I really think it will be a great resource (if I don't spontaneously combust from confusion first). Hopefully I will be getting some existing lists sent to me soon to flesh it out a little more.
Again, thank you so much for the input.

#42 ·
more histrionica:
whitefoot
bullseye (blue, red, yellow, white)
saddleback (caramel/orange, blue)

there are also naturally occurring hybrids of lehmanni and histrionica (some of which im fairly confident are here)

more sylvatica:
qeubrada guanguí

more pumilio:
various undescribed locales

vicentei: (im not sure on "locale" names here)
red
green
blue
brown
white

dont forget that there are also (almost certianly) some
excidobates mysteriosis
and very likley some captivus as well (they were seen offered in germany a few years back and i think its safe to assume they are here as well)

ranitomeya virolinensis was also imported at one point

there is also an orange morph of reticulata out there

ive also heard of a. billinguis being here as well

you do need to make clear that this is FAR from a list of "available species" since really any of the oophaga (aside from pumilio) and many ranitomeya, as well as ANY excidobates are not "available". there is a big difference between maintained i captivity and available and using the term available could sent the wrong picture not only to other hobbyists, but to the authorities which apparently do check the boards here and there.

james

#43 ·
Amazing input James, thanks a lot.
I agree that the title may be misleading...it really should be labelled Species/Morphs/Locales found in captivity in the US (side note: after I made the thread, I realized that many people would probably skip right over it because it looks like a classifieds ad). I want to try to come up with a signifier for "commonly found" frogs (even though this is not always stable) and maybe one for "you are not going to get these frogs, so don't waste your time." I definitely do not want to misrepresent the hobby in any way...I just think it will be cool to have a comprehensive list, I feel like many others will appreciate it as well.
I will update the list with your additions.
Thanks again!

#44 ·
Anyone have an opinion about including species/morphs/locales that are available in foreign markets (specifically EU)? Especially ones that will most likely make their way stateside pretty soon? I'm thinking that it may be a good idea as long as it is clearly indicated that they are not in the country yet.

#45 ·
I'd leave them off. Theres no guarantee that they will make it over here, and many of the species that are over there that we dont have are smuggled anyway. Besides, you can always edit the list.

What about things that were imported but arent around anymore? Theres a bunch like that. A couple things that are on the list are probably gone as well.

Also, add duellmani to the list. There are a couple people still working with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.