• 1 Post By JoshsFrogsPlants
  • 2 Post By EggrollsFrogs
  • 1 Post By EggrollsFrogs
  • 1 Post By EggrollsFrogs
  • 2 Post By baskis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Hello's and Advice

Hello ladies and gentlemen. I'm a total noob from Western NC and I've just completed my first viv. I just wanted to stop in and say hello and receive any advice you guys have for me. My viv has been complete for about a week and a half now and I'll be adding frogs on the 24th of March. I'm opened to any suggestions and advice or links you guys are willing to give as I'm super interested in the hobby and would like to learn as much as I can. I guess my first question would be: Is there any way to know for certain that my viv is ready to receive frogs? Does anyone have a link to a "is your viv ready for frogs" care sheet? Thanks again and glad to be a part of the group~!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Hello's and Advice

Welcome!

For any 'starter' info check out these topics:

Popular and Helpful 'Beginner Discussion' Threads

And don't forget the beginner mistake's we've all been there so you don't have to.
If you've planted the tank you can keep checking the plants a couple of weeks if they stay alive and start to grow (at least thats what i did)
You don't want to replant the whole tank if you've got frogs.
Stress is deadly for the frogs

Also would be the best time to add a cleanup crew (springtails, isopods,)
And of course check the temperature(also at night) lighting and humidity before adding frogs.

I may have missed some points.. but those are the most important.

Got any idea's what kind of frogs you want?
(also mixing frog species is a big nono in the hobby)
And got any pics of your tank ?

Enjoy the hobby!
Encyclia likes this.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Mod

Some information and pictures of your vivarium, as well as the species that you will ultimately house would be needed to determine the overall suitability.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:07 PM

Thanks for all of the info here. Those beginner links are super helpful. Here is a photo of my viv. I used GS and 100% GE silicone with coco husk, Zoo Meds substrate with coco mixed in it with a bit of charcoal as well. I used packaged moss and planted a brom from the local exotic pet store along with some wood pieces and a cork board bark thing. I have a fern of some sort and a bit of ground cover. I built a false bottom out of the white light diffusers, screen/ground cover and zip ties. I have a small pump for the water fall that is fully accessible and can be replaced at any time. I've installed the repti-mist thinggy and set it to mist distilled water once a day and I have an led hood that is capable of full specturm or just red or bue or white lighting. From the reading i've done today, it seems like I may need some additives in my water as well as some more leaf litter.

I have a friend that I've met recently on DartArmy Classified on FB and he's going to send me springtails and FF cultures. I've ordered 20 culture cups and 10 felt vented lids and 10 plastic vented lids along with repashy culture and calcium dust and excelsor for now. I plan on making 1 new culture per week while always having 2 ready for feeding.

I've ordered my frogs from Shore Thing Exotics and I've decided on 2 small Vanzos but they wont ship until 3/24 due to very cold weather here. I plan on raising this species only in this viv and hope to catch Repticon in my home town in June. I figure by that time I can find a couple more Vanzo's and thinking about sexing and figuring out what to do about allowing them to mate. I have an indoor greenhouse where i will setup my quarantine box and grow a couple of cuttings from my plants.

My main concern is that I don't want to kill these frogs. So I'd like to know what to look out for and maybe what I can do to ensure that the frogs are happy. Maybe you guys can tell me when and if I should swab or test poopies. I need to order or boil some more leaf litter for my viv and plan on planting a couple more plants. My viv stays around 75-80% humidity and floats around 60-70 degrees in temperature.

I guess I would just like to know if there is any way I can "check up' on my frogs to ensure they're happy and are going to survive.

I'm super pumped on this hobby and would like to know ALL the information there is to know about it.
baskis and mudbug like this.

Last edited by EggrollsFrogs; 03-15-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 PM

I figured the comment about ..."..would like to know ALL the information..." would get some laughs...
Old 03-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Mod

Well, your vanzos won't need the coco hut, the decorative Zoo Med moss, or the water feature, so you could nix those, were you so inclined. This would give you much more floor space which could be covered in a thick layer of leaf litter and seeded with a wide array of microfauna. You could even fill in your former pond area with some calcified clay substrate for the twofold benefit of mineral absorption for the frogs, and extra space for springtails and isopods to colonize. Beyond that I would just add more broms.
Sktdvs14 and Gibbs.JP like this.

Last edited by Dane; 03-16-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:14 AM

Dane thanks for the info. I don't really like the waterfall and I'm thinking about putting together an identical size tank with no water feature and more leaf litter. Do you think I should keep the false bottom and have water drain under the substrate still? Of course I would drain it out from time to time.

I really appreciate you lining me up with matching my frog species to my tank. I think this is super important. Just curious what species would would you put in the tank with the moss, coco hutt and the water feature? I'm pretty serious about starting over and building a more suitable tank for my Vanzos. Also, do you think it would be too much stress on the Vanzos if I put them in this tank and then transferdo them in a a couple of weeks? Thanks in advance for your time.
The Following User Says Thank You to EggrollsFrogs For This Useful Post:
kblack3 (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 02:32 PM

WOW. ok. Reading up on how to become a soil geek. Holy cow this is awesome. Someone send more money, i need more supplies!
Dane likes this.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:32 PM

Hello and welcome!

Here at Josh's Frogs we have numerous blogs HERE and helpful videos via our YouTube channel HERE.

Also, HERE is a good basic care guide for those contemplating getting some dart frogs that you may find helpful.

Best of luck!
scaphiopus likes this.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:36 AM

Hello friends, so i've decided to take advice from you guys and redo my viv for my new Vanzos which should be arriving in 5 days. You can see in the photos that I've removed the water feature and added more broms and some vines and various plants. I just love moss so I had to keep just a little bit of it. As you can see, I got rid of the "mulchy" substrate and replaced it with a finer mixure of S.Pete moss, coco coir, charcoal and strained zoo meds forrest substrate. I then added a layer of S. moss then a layer of leaf litter. I'm hoping this will be better for my Vanzos. Thanks for the advice and please feel free to chime in with more advice and comments.

Dane and baskis like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EggrollsFrogs For This Useful Post:
baskis (03-23-2017), Dane (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 AM

You need to put straight broms. So tilted they retain a little of water and are useless for frogs. In addition, they are unnatural so tilted: in nature they are straight. This is my advice.
Oherwise, nice tank!
Old 03-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Ok. . so I'm assuming that you're telling me that I need to angle my broms up more. I will do that tonight and post photos. Thanks for the advice rigel10!

rigel10 likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:33 PM

Ok reading this Brom Care Sheet right now.
baskis likes this.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 PM

Frogs are arriving today! I was expecting some bugs for feeding from a friend but they haven't arrived yet so I had 1 culture delivered yesterday and I'm thinking about having 2 more delivered overnight if I start freaking out. I hope I don't have to play the "catch up" game with my cultures and feeding. If any of you guys/gals have any advice on this for my little Vanzo's please feel free to comment. Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:13 PM

I would just like to say that you're a prime example of how a beginner should behave when given solid advice. You've shown a willingness and desire to learn and have done a lot of your own research in conjunction with the advice that's been given. It's refreshing to see someone take advice instead of becoming combatant at the first comment.
Dane and edgeofthefreak like this.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:10 PM

Thanks Baskis! That's so nice of you to say. There weren't many replies to my thread so I was worried that maybe I was a little TOO noobish or asking to many dumb questions. I can understand how people may be reluctant to answer questions in fear of a lash back though. I screen shot your reply and sent it to my wife and she loved it because I've been running around like a mad scientist trying to get this viv ready for the arrival of my little guys.