Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM

Default Re: 150 gallon stream bank

Hey JD,
I sent you a PM about fan options (not selling anything! I am more of a buyer...), by the way. Lots of options.

Terribs are always out, but mine don't do too much, especially my mints. Really, mine mainly just sit where I feed them and silently judge me. Leucs, though, always seem to be out and about exploring their enclosure. They are more fun to watch, in my opinion. Terribs can also be susceptible to foot issues sometimes associated with wet substrate. Since you have a huge water feature in there, it might be tough to keep their substrate dry. That's just my $0.02.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOA View Post
i have a while to decide, but now I'm really not sure what to get. i was set with leucs and now the more i hear from ya'll, I'm starting to waiver.

terribilis sound bold and fun to watch.....even more so than leucs.....

I like the colors of the leucs better........ is one easier than the other to keep??

do all new comers go thru this torture...hahah, good torture i guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Encyclia For This Useful Post:
AOA (02-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclia View Post
Hey JD,
I sent you a PM about fan options (not selling anything! I am more of a buyer...), by the way. Lots of options.

Terribs are always out, but mine don't do too much, especially my mints. Really, mine mainly just sit where I feed them and silently judge me. Leucs, though, always seem to be out and about exploring their enclosure. They are more fun to watch, in my opinion. Terribs can also be susceptible to foot issues sometimes associated with wet substrate. Since you have a huge water feature in there, it might be tough to keep their substrate dry. That's just my $0.02.

Mark
pm replied....

thanks for all the help. I'm sticking with leucs...atleast 87.4 % sure for now.

i wish i could go back to the beginning of this build. it didn't start as a dart tank and now I'm trying to make the necessary changes. Im a hardscape guy and enjoy the artistic-building aspect of the viv hobby. just a bit worried that i don't have enough substrate for microfauna and such. I've since built in a few more small places for substrate and more surface area for frog space. even though the tank is large, the usable space isn't really that impressive. kind of a bummer really, but theres no turning back. i have over 80 hours in the build right now!!

haven't posted any pics lately cause I'm working on plumbing (boring). there are more coming soon! tank is drilled and detail work is almost done!
thanks again for all the support

Cheers
JD

Last edited by AOA; 02-09-2017 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:41 PM

This is a pretty awesome build. I would love to do something like this some day
The Following User Says Thank You to Keni For This Useful Post:
AOA (02-10-2017)

Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 PM

What did you use to do the detail work on the roots and stuff.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keni View Post
What did you use to do the detail work on the roots and stuff.
I described some of it above a little bit. the really fine detail is with small art brushes and a palate of shades made with dry lock and concrete coloring. The colors blend a lot like oil paints and can give a pretty cool look. The natural materials are coco husk, moss, kon tiki 3 mm natural gravel, and local agates from our continent's tallest active volcano! my favorite part!!

JD
Old 02-10-2017, 06:58 AM

I have the tank drilled now and got the bulk heads installed. will test this weekend.

been thinking a lot about the tank lately after reading an awesome thread on newbies always wanting to do water features in dart tanks. Its a must read for anyone wanting to put a water feature in...even more experienced folks would benefit.

I have built a lot of moving water vivs and made every mistake in the book. I have never kept darts. In my younger years i kept all kinds of critters but in the past decade or so I have focused on the viv itself, living and growing with flora, not fauna. This takes out so many variables and worries which has made some really successful builds with nice water features.

With this build I am starting to get concerned with having complicated features in a dart tank. The original design was for a few shrimp and rasboras, maybe a couple of wood frogs as a temporary observation and release. It wasn't until after i started that i decided that i wanted to give darts a try. The tank could just be "so cool" i thought. Newbie mistake waiting to happen right. I have to remember my 5 year old river tank and 4 year old newt tank are still running strong, but have very simple inhabitants like guppies.....not sensitive darts. Feel free to give advice or point out pitfalls you may see along the way!

My distilled water will be well filtered, clean, and maintained with WC every week (thankful for students needing extra credit). It will also be well monitored for all the possible issues (NH4, NO2, NO3, etc).....again thank you students. With the 25ish gals of water in there I'm hoping it won't be tempermental once we get it stabile.

I can siphon out my little water section now and again as organics build up but i don't want to cause unwanted stress on frogs. In my experience ALL water features add maintenance no matter what. Is that going to be a problem? AND how trashy are they...obviously not like a FBT or something (thank goodness). But maybe its more than i am anticipating?????

With that said, I have been building in some contingency plans for the tank that will allow me to scrap the drip walls, river, or pool if necessary.

more to come soon, my fingers are crossed.

Last edited by AOA; 02-10-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:56 AM

making a few more changes soon.
Update: Right side drip wall removed, ledges dug out for more frog space, expanded on some more ledgy areas to make them more cave like for breeding. They now will have a bunch of cool places to breed that offer privacy! Hopefully they'l like one of them.

Almost there

JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6053.jpg (43.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6049.jpg (46.5 KB, 124 views)
chillplants and Encyclia like this.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 PM

This thing looks great! I can't wait to see it planted. Keep the pics coming!
AOA likes this.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
This thing looks great! I can't wait to see it planted. Keep the pics coming!
thanks Keni. Im making some adjustments to the hardscape to give the frogs some more floor space with soil to encourage microfauna. I hope to make some real progress soon. controlling water is so hard with these things. I am super worried about soggy soil. I think i have it worked out but its impossible to know until she's up and running.

I also started sanding the tank which is no small task, figured i better make a real effort to give this beast the viewing possible. thanks again

more to come
JD
Encyclia and Keni like this.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:33 AM

This tank will look great planted.
Encyclia, AOA and Keni like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to stepheneashia For This Useful Post:
AOA (02-19-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 03:29 AM

Looks awesome!
AOA likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dcairelli For This Useful Post:
AOA (02-19-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 02:32 PM

Any pic updates yet? 😊
Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 PM

Awesome tank!

I'm sure a group of leucs would love it in there
AOA likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to VPardoel For This Useful Post:
AOA (02-19-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Any pic updates yet? 😊
AHHH its driving me crazy! I just can't seem to get to the tank at all this week! Too busy. hope to get something done this weekend!

thanks for the shout Keni, Im on it
Old 02-17-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPardoel View Post
Awesome tank!

I'm sure a group of leucs would love it in there
Thank you, Im chompin at the bit to get the darn thing back into the tank, almost done with the sanding!

JD
thedude likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to AOA For This Useful Post:
nhughes28 (02-18-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:16 AM

fans cut in and mounted. i think i am going to run the wires along the top of the side panel and then out the top. does that sounds right?? Thinking about tapping in a few small vent holes above the fan. a good idea?

I once used an air gap in one of my builds between the false bottom and my substrate. I think it helped with keeping my soil fresh and safe from an occasional over watering. Hope it helps keep my clay and soil mix from getting soggy. I put them on all soil sections that are within range of the false bottom. now all substrate layers will be suspended .5 inch above the false bottom layer on lower level pots. maximum drainage was my thought. who knows, maybe just a waste of an hour. can't hurt I guess.

Ive been acclimating my ficus trees to a humid environment and just lost one due to root rot. kicking myself...rookie move. It just came on so fast. took them all out of the store's soil and went with a straight inorganic bonsai mix for higher humidity environments. Had to trim a bunch of black roots from the other two trees that shared the pot with the one I lost. They are not looking great. Hoping for the best on that end. three still seem in decent shape. I'll post pics and see if anyone has some advice.

Added two small pots for riparian plants. Both dip down into the water below the false bottom. i think ill go with crypt.lutea on those.

Water filtration battle:
I built another small screen section in the back corner of the pool. Will now have two places for the eheim to push water in. The filters won't be sucking water out of the pool. its isolated except for the small windows of screen in front of the canister outlets. Its the only x factor with filtration.
I want good movement of the 30 gallons underneath the false bottom. Should help keep the water well filtered and give bacteria a good chance of colonizing the sump foam lining the tank. each of the two canisters are rated for close to 80 gal or something like that. I also have a jet pushing water along the back length of the tank to maximize circulation.
runoff and erosion should be minimal. All potted sections have good lips to keep soil in and leaf litter should help too. as long as the darts do not track a lot of organics into the river and pond, i might be good to go???

more to come...maybe steal some time tomorrow to finish some things.....

Cheers
JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6156.jpg (53.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6157.jpg (73.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6159.jpg (59.4 KB, 29 views)
Keni likes this.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:39 AM

some pics.

some ficus not looking good, some looking ok
fans almost ready for detailing
all trimming and reshaping dry locked
old river pauldarium successfully turned into terrarium. Sad in a way but the evolution is on its way and i just didn't want three water features running at once.

lotta work for only a few updates....till next time
Cheers
JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6160.jpg (67.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6161 (1).jpg (98.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6162.jpg (68.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6165.jpg (95.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6167 (1).jpg (64.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6169.jpg (71.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:18 AM

kind of normal for ficus to drop their leaves when you move them indoors when they were grown outdoors.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeloc View Post
kind of normal for ficus to drop their leaves when you move them indoors when they were grown outdoors.
thats for sure. they were grown indoors and i have had them for over 2 months. I assumed the soil was really well-drained and it just wasn't. The soil was packed in so tight onto their roots that they rotted out. I should have known better.....hope i don't lose any more.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOA View Post
been thinking a lot about the tank lately after reading an awesome thread on newbies always wanting to do water features in dart tanks. Its a must read for anyone wanting to put a water feature in...even more experienced folks would benefit.
Hi, awesome tank! Will be following this thread. Could you share the link to the thread you mentioned? Gonna be moving in to a new apartment in 6 months, so I'll be building a paдudarium myself. Iэve been lurking this forum for a couple of years now, but any useful info is always great!
AOA likes this.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:32 AM

Awesome tank build! Can't wait to see it finished and again after it has had some time to grow in!
AOA likes this.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:46 AM

thanks sigis and dvent! I can't seem to find that thread, i looked for it. Something like "whats with newbies and water features?"

at any rate, I'm frustrated as i can't seem to find the time to get working on the tank!! hopefully more to come

JD
Old 02-24-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigis View Post
Hi, awesome tank! Will be following this thread. Could you share the link to the thread you mentioned? Gonna be moving in to a new apartment in 6 months, so I'll be building a paдudarium myself. Iэve been lurking this forum for a couple of years now, but any useful info is always great!
Here ya go, sigis.

What's with the water features??
AOA likes this.