Dendroboard banner

The Peninsula

518K views 744 replies 230 participants last post by  hanuman 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Dude it looks like it's gonna be awesome really looking foward to it. How are u going to construct the peniunsula, are you going to use styrophome and grout or Great Stuff it? I know you like the kitty liter thing but I just dont see how that would work without some other support Perhaps eggcrate. Also what are your plans for the sump? Looks like ur of to a good start!

#4 ·
Always love seeing your builds grimm, gives me really good ideas and nothing quite can explain like seeing a new masterpiece in vivarium/terrarium construction. Will be looking forward to your updates!!!

#5 · (Edited)
Should be a fun one! Thanks guys.

The main structure against the wall will be created from pvc piping and expanding foam attached to a foam board. It will tie into some amazing pieces of driftwood I have ordered from the US. It is tough to descibe what I will be doing, but think lots of verticle branches covered in moss and epiphytes, aswell as vines hanging from the glass tops There will also be a "bridge" made from one of the driftwood pieces, overhanging my the water feature. Nothing to fanch in the feature though, as it will be similar to the slow drip I have in my 1st twin tank. Finally all the wood will be attached together using a minimal amount of foam, then coated using a mixture of silicone, toluene, peat, and coir fiber strands.

To make up for the lack of a clay background, I have already made a large batch of clay substrate. It seems to be clumping a little to easily for my liking though, so I'm thinking of getting it fired using higher temps at the pottery store next door. Using a clay background on something this large doesnt appeal to me, as it will not last as long as foam and pvc. The strength quality tends to be variable when using clay depending on the location in the tank, which also isnt something I want with a taller viv like this.

#56 ·
Should be a fun one! Thanks guys.
Using a clay background on something this large doesnt appeal to me, as it will not last as long as foam and pvc. The strength quality tends to be variable when using clay depending on the location in the tank, which also isnt something I want with a taller viv like this.

When you say foam do you mean using Great stuff or foam slabs?
If you mean the GS method then have you thought about doing both clay and GS?
I don't know if you've seen Aaron's HD vivarium build vids or not but he uses both the GS and clay.

I'm thinking about doing this in my next tank.

How well does clay hold up tho...cause I have a large Golden Gecko and I'm gonna make him a GS and clay background and I'm curious with his strength would be be able to tear up the surface of the clay...
I know from exsperiance in art class back in school wet clay can be pushed around and scoured and whatnot.
My gecko is pretty strong....do you think he would only mess the clay up or is the clay pretty stout?

#10 ·
I got the wood from TheDriftwoodStore.com ...I recommend this driftwood store to EVERYONE. Amazing service, website, and prices. He takes clear shots of every piece, with dimensions, and prices right on the website. I asked him if I could see a piece from a side view, he sent me a picture within an hour. Superb guy.

Keep the updates coming GRIMM. I'm looking forward to following the progress on this one. Use lots of glowing mushrooms!

Are you going to drill the bottom or side to plumb into your sump?

Cheers,
Scott
Bottom drilled sump. 3 holes. Return, supply, and a ball valved controled full drain when I want to do a complete water cleaning and suck out any particulates that have fallen through the false bottom.

What might have the privelege of staying in this mansion?
Most likely a family of Cristobals. My buddy Lance has recently had success with a little baby, and there are plenty of tads on thier way. I might change my mind down the road, but I want a decent sized egg feeder that will make use of all the precarious climbing areas in the tank. Possibly a family of Bastimentos, whichever tickles my fancy at the end of summer.

#11 ·
Subscribed. I've always wanted to have a tank like this; viewable from multiple sides, background on one or both ends (to give it a "canyon" feel). I remember one tank very similar in size to yours from a couple years ago that a member here had at the foot of their bed. It was the only one I had seen like it and I can't find the thread..

#22 ·
The tank is 48long X 24front to back X 30high. The top will sit about 8" down from the light right now. I will most likely lower the light once I have everything settled.

I know the G-mann fixture has built in fans (it really is an EPIC light fixture), but are you planning on further cooling? My concern would be that the halides are going to put out ALOT of heat that may transfer to the tank.

Cheers,
Scott
There are actually no fans in the fixture, it is completly silent. Due to the magnesium and aluminium body construction, it doesnt get very hot at all. Only the glass and about 4" below the bulb gets hot. I'm hoping the temps wont break 82 near the top of the tank. If the temps get to high, it takes about 30 seconds to raise fixture. If they continue to overheat the tank, I'll have to make myself a fan bar to blow across the top of the tank.

It's a standard 75 Jason, and yes he started off right with a great light
Its a 150 gallon, not 75 :p

#28 ·
Haha dont worry, I have over 3 watts per gallon for the sole purpose of bringing out the colours of amazing plants. I'll keep my eye out for one like that when the time comes. I'll be making a +300$ order in a few months to fill this baby with the finest plants I can find north of the boarder. I already have some sweet moss growing out in a 15 gallon aquarium, and 2 large tupperware containers lol. Green down low, and bright colours up top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.